"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post by Krishi Shah »

I believe that there is a certain kind of bravery involved in honesty, especially when the truth will make one uncomfortable. But the idea that I think this line was meant to provoke is that every faction has factors of other factions. No matter how much we try to separate people into factions, their traits are not singular in existence, people will always have traits from every faction. In fact, even the factions will fundamentally have features of other factions.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Krishi Shah »

To look at it from a different angle, some people like to be brutal with truth even if it's hurtful simply because they enjoy it or have no sensitivity. Could that be considered pure honesty, because it is honest but the malice gives it a bad name?
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Krishi Shah »

In this line of thinking, I think being honest with oneself is also quite daunting! Owning up to mistakes requires bravery as well.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

It is very brave to be honest a the time. To show your true feelings at hand and never lie or hide behind. Candor was underrated in the books and movies and I would have loved to get storyline from someone in candor fraction.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I think it does take a certain amount of bravery to be in Candor, especially in the beginning when you have to reveal your innermost secrets. I don't know of anyone that wants the world to know all there is to know, I know I don't.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”