Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by Scott »

The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

How does initiation change and transform Tris? Do you think she made the right faction choice? How do you think she might have changed if she had chosen one of the other factions?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Tris made the only choice available to her in those conditions. I think she made the right faction choice because she fitted into the Dauntless. Initiation changed her by making her stronger, braver and smarter than before. It prepared her for the uprising as well. If Tris had chosen some other faction, she wouldn’t have been as happy. She felt right at home in Dauntless, more than Four.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I do think she made the right choice. It was the faction where her heart was. It obviously wasn't with Abnegation. I think she would have been bored at Erudite and always itching for the activity and adventure that she got in Dauntless.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I agree that Tris definitely made the right faction choice for herself. Dauntless fit in with her personality and her desires. In the beginning when she was still in Abnegation, she felt like she didn't belong, like she was a misfit. She also constantly admired the Dauntless members from afar, when she watched them jump from the train to go to school, and climb buildings. She clearly always wanted the adventure and lifestyle the Dauntless members lived through so I definitely think she made the right choice for herself.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
phonicphoenix
Favorite Author: The Brothers Grimm
Favorite Book: Holes
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phonicphoenix.html
fav_author_id: 5346

Post by phonicphoenix »

I feel like Tris made the only choice that could train hear to be the person she wanted and not the person who she was forced to be in Abnegation. I feel like had she stayed in Abnegation she would've ended up being found out anyways just because of how the story ended. That being said, I can't really back my opinion up much more than that as I haven't read the sequels.
Now it's all change, it's got to change more
Cause we think it's getting better
But nobody's really sure
Hola2Cora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hola2cora.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Hola2Cora »

gali wrote:Tris made the only choice available to her in those conditions. I think she made the right faction choice because she fitted into the Dauntless. Initiation changed her by making her stronger, braver and smarter than before. It prepared her for the uprising as well. If Tris had chosen some other faction, she wouldn’t have been as happy. She felt right at home in Dauntless, more than Four.
I completely agree with this post. If Tris had joined another faction, she would not have met Four, Christina, Will or the other friends, who helped develop her as a person. Plus, the story would not have been as dramatic and it would have ruined a good book. The author was smart to put Tris in Dauntless, because it helped to describe and develop Tris' character against a dynamically opposite back drop of what was expected of her character.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Tris definitely made the right choice. In many ways, she seemed much better suited to Dauntless than Four, and we all saw how good he was. I don't think she would have fully belonged in any other faction, although I hesitate to say that because I almost feel that she could have been very successful in Erudite (and enjoyed it). But that would have ruined the whole story! lol!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
JessiAnne26
Currently Reading: A Novel Bookstore
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessianne26.html
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter

Post by JessiAnne26 »

I think it was her destiny to make that choice. She was everything all at once but the conditions she grew up in were the polar opposite of Dauntless so i think for the whole story to work she had to choose that faction and it worked better for her than any of the other factions could have.
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter
Esrever
Favorite Author: Mark Z. Danielewski
Currently Reading: January 6th and the Millenial Horde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esrever.html
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian
fav_author_id: 2642

Post by Esrever »

I think it was more due to the fact that she was a Divergent that made it seem effortless on her part to choose Dauntless. Tris didn't like her first faction and it was clear that she didn't like the selfless mentality either. This is just a clear example of teenage rebelliousness and she chose the most exciting of the factions.
Latest Review: "Killing Matt Cooper" by John Cassian
musiclover182013
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Bone Season
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musiclover182013.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by musiclover182013 »

I do believe that Tris made the right choice. She fit into Dauntless quickly and easily. Not only did initiation make Tris stronger, but wiser and more courageous as well. She comments several times about being in the right faction. I definitely believe that she fits into this faction better than she would have fit into any other.
caitlinisabella

Post by caitlinisabella »

I believe Tris made the right choice, she's Divergent and Dauntless was the best Faction for her. If she knew that she had to fight for what was right, dauntless would train her for it. In any other faction she would not have reached her full potential, especially Abnegation. If she had stayed there, she would have been a victim of the Dauntless Simulation and would not have been able to save those people. But she is still fragile, under the mask. Will's death still haunts her in the third book and stops her from holding a gun. On the other hand she risked her life to save the other Divergent's in the Second Book.
KasMorin
Currently Reading: Silent Echo
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasmorin.html
2024 Reading Goal: 964
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by KasMorin »

I do think that Dauntless was the best choice for Tris. Being raised Abnegation meant she was used to putting others before herself (part of what I feel Dauntless stands for). She always felt like something was missing and that she needed a challenge. She was never going to get that with Abnegation. Dauntless challenged her to become her very best self.
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

She made the right choice. She fitted in. She made friends and felt a sense of achievement and exhilaration during the initiation. Her inner self is not being repressed as it would have been in Abnegation.
Darling_Reads
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darling-reads.html
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Darling_Reads »

I feel like Tris did make the right decision by choosing Dauntless. Being Divergent she didn't fit in perfectly to any one faction. She never displayed any qualities of Candor so that was easily ruled out. She didn't yearn for knowledge and learning like the Erudite. And she wasn't selfless enough to be in Abnegation. I feel the only other sector she would have been able to hide her Divergence better would be Amity. Although, I don't think it would have been an initial top for her I think with her gifts she might have been able to make that work. Of course, then it would have been a different novel, no Four or a different Four.
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I do think she made the right choice. If she chose Abnegation, she never would have found her true self. She isn't just selfless. She is courageous. Her story would have been much different is she just stayed in Abnegation and tried to fit in.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”