Brave, and selfless, and smart, and kind, and honest...

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Re: Brave, and selfless, and smart, and kind, and honest...

Post by Inks and Quills »

I think it is realistic, but will be difficult given the way his society is structured. Martin Luther King Jr. was a good example of someone who had all those traits.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

The International Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, the various UN Agencies and many more lesser known organisations like the Scout Movement contribute to this vision even in our society. So yeah, whatever Four is trying to achieve is definitely doable!
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

Sometimes unrealistic doesn't necessarily mean that something is impossible. By his standard, he didn't want to be just one thing. He didn't want to be labeled, which I think is something that relates very well to society today. Four's desire to be everything is admirable because he doesn't want to put himself into a box. I think the risks are higher in his society, which is maybe what makes it unrealistic. However, as I said before, it is not impossible.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

It's admirably to want to actively have a positive trait. That, in itself, is worth it.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Four's desire to be brave, selfless, honest and kind weren't allowed in dauntless but when fractions broke, it worked. Even though four is not a divergent, he can still have these qualities and contribute to society.
Princewill Uchenna
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I think he's being human. Everyone feels the need to be good. The characteristics that the factions represent pretty much make up the traits of a perfect person. Who doesn't want to be perfect.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I think he's being human. Everyone feels the need to be good. The characteristics that the factions represent pretty much make up the traits of a perfect person. Who doesn't want to be perfect.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”