Tori Wu

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Kzin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Tori Wu

Post by Kzin »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but before I do, I want to know if the Tori Wu character was a hero or villain. I read the synopsis, and she appears to be a villain.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Tori isn't a villain. She's not quite a hero, either, though. She's more complex than either one and works for her own side. While she does some things that may seem villainous, she isn't a bad person.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

Kzin wrote:I haven't seen the movie yet, but before I do, I want to know if the Tori Wu character was a hero or villain. I read the synopsis, and she appears to be a villain.

Why do you say that? She's not a villain, she's a hero, if she came off as rude or something, it's because she's scared (for herself and also for Tris)
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
odugrad09

Post by odugrad09 »

She's definitely not a villain! She is the reason Tris was saved and not reported as Divergent. I wouldn't call her an emerging hero but she pulls her weight and contributes a fair portion to the effort throughout the series.
NanoWasabi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanowasabi.html
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Post by NanoWasabi »

While she might not be a villain, some of the things she does are very selfish, and could definitely be seen as villainous. That being said, Jeanine did some things right, and she's clearly portrayed as a villain. It all depends on your perspective.
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I don't think she's a villain exactly, but I wouldn't call her a hero either. She does do things for Tris that could make her seem like a hero, but she also does selfish things that could make her seem a villain. I wouldn't consider her either.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
hollirm
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollirm.html

Post by hollirm »

I don't think she's a villain or a hero. I think she's just a really complicated person in a world that tried to un-complicate things. She's also at the wrong place, at the wrong time, a lot of the time. Which I guess you could say was right place, right time, if you look at the end result.
lindac1_98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindac1-98.html

Post by lindac1_98 »

No Tori is not a bad, even though it would appear that way. Sometimes while protecting someone it can make a person seem mean, rude or bad especially to the person they are trying to help.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

She's a complicated person. In the beginning she appeared as good but then as bad but her motive remained the same, to avenge his brother.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
unicorny07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicorny07.html

Post by unicorny07 »

Hadiqa wrote:She's a complicated person. In the beginning she appeared as good but then as bad but her motive remained the same, to avenge his brother.
I agree that she was complicated. She was the reason Tris wasn't found out immediately as Divergent, and that gave her a chance to fight. In the end Tori's motives did become selfish because her actions became all about her brother's death. Some actions were heroic, and some were villain like.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

i wouldn't call her a villain exactly, but she doesn't make the best choices either. She makes some bad choices through out the books because she is grieving and wants revenge for her brother. She can't see past her revenge and ends up paying the price for it. Tori did care about peole, which is why I don't think that makes her a villain. She tries to keep Tris safe. She gives her advice on keeping her identity safe, doesn't tell anyone that Tris is Divergent, and trusts Tris by telling her about her brother. I don't believe that she was a bad person, she just made bad choices. Everyone does, and eventually we have to pay the price for the mistakes we make, no matter how big or small the mistakes are.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

csimmons032 wrote:i wouldn't call her a villain exactly, but she doesn't make the best choices either. She makes some bad choices through out the books because she is grieving and wants revenge for her brother. She can't see past her revenge and ends up paying the price for it. Tori did care about peole, which is why I don't think that makes her a villain. She tries to keep Tris safe. She gives her advice on keeping her identity safe, doesn't tell anyone that Tris is Divergent, and trusts Tris by telling her about her brother. I don't believe that she was a bad person, she just made bad choices. Everyone does, and eventually we have to pay the price for the mistakes we make, no matter how big or small the mistakes are.

I agree with this! Exactly what I was about to type, lol! =)
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

Tori Wu isn't a villain nor a hero. She helps Tris in some ways, like telling her to be careful because she's a divergent. But thats it, because she's too focus on getting revenge for her brother's death.
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

Tori is not really the villain; she made some bad choices but that doesn't make her a bad person. She is a complex character; she helped Tris and tried to keep her safe, but she made some bad choices driven by a need for revenge over her brother's death.She paid for the consequences of her choices in the end though.
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

Tori is a complex character just like everyone else in this novel. Everyone in this novel could be looked at as a villain or hero depending on what you decided to look at.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”