Do the factions cover all personality?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Do the factions cover all personality?

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

MissJane wrote: 13 Apr 2015, 10:44 I do believe that the factions cover most all of the basic traits of a human.

1. Abnegation: for the selfless, those who love to serve, who think others better than themselves. These are the people who would volunteer at your local soup kitchen or the ASPCA. They may also be soldiers or firemen or police; people who are willing to risk their lives for others.
2. Dauntless: for the daredevils. The people who want adventure, love to take risks, are probably quite rowdy. I think these may be rock-climbers, the athletes of today; the ones who love to go skydiving of a cliff.
3. Amity: These are the friendly people. The ones who genuinely love other human beings and try their best to make them happy. These are the people that are always smiling, never afraid to give a friendly smile or wave to a perfect stranger.
4. Candor: these people value honesty above all else. In my mind, they might be the lawyers and judges or even detectives.
5. The factionless: these are (in my mind at least) the drunks, the criminals, those who have given up on a better life...but this is contradictory to the factionless rebels; these are, well, the modern day rebels, fighting for their own cause.

Roth did consider all of the possible traits when she wrote the book, I do believe. I think categorizing the people in any other smaller groups would not make the idea of the factions as impactful...
Yeah. There is no better way to say it.

I am wowed.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

No. Factions were made to divide, not to include people. I don't think you can create groups that would include e

everyone.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

No. Factions were made to divide, not to include people. I don't think you can create groups that would include everyone.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

There is a book that talks about the 4 personalities, now I do not remember the author, it is a very good book, although I do not agree that there are only 4. Nor with only 5 factions, because the personalities are a wide range and can change, it is like the frequency spectrum and the colors that represent them.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

I think that to believe that the 5 factions cover every personality trait would be a little like believing that every individual can fit into one faction only. The human personality is a lot more complicated than that.
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

MissJane wrote: 13 Apr 2015, 10:44 I do believe that the factions cover most all of the basic traits of a human.

1. Abnegation: for the selfless, those who love to serve, who think others better than themselves. These are the people who would volunteer at your local soup kitchen or the ASPCA. They may also be soldiers or firemen or police; people who are willing to risk their lives for others.
2. Dauntless: for the daredevils. The people who want adventure, love to take risks, are probably quite rowdy. I think these may be rock-climbers, the athletes of today; the ones who love to go skydiving of a cliff.
3. Amity: These are the friendly people. The ones who genuinely love other human beings and try their best to make them happy. These are the people that are always smiling, never afraid to give a friendly smile or wave to a perfect stranger.
4. Candor: these people value honesty above all else. In my mind, they might be the lawyers and judges or even detectives.
5. The factionless: these are (in my mind at least) the drunks, the criminals, those who have given up on a better life...but this is contradictory to the factionless rebels; these are, well, the modern day rebels, fighting for their own cause.

Roth did consider all of the possible traits when she wrote the book, I do believe. I think categorizing the people in any other smaller groups would not make the idea of the factions as impactful...
Yes I agree with you, it will be harder to read the book if there were ten or so factions. As there are so many individuals in the world, I think a majority of people do not fit into one faction only, most of them are a mix of two or more factions.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

I don't think they do, but the author did a great job covering the vast range of human traits.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

They cover the major personality traits. Even in fractions every person was different because of the many layers in personality. She grouped the behaviour perfectly in 5 fractions.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I think those are the most general personalities. There would be sub-personalities for each faction afterwards.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I don't think the majority of people fit into each faction perfectly. Most people I know have tendencies for many of the factions. I will say that most people do have one that they gravitate towards with their personality.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”