A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
mraphael1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mraphael1.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Re: A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Post by mraphael1 »

I can understand the similarities between the factions and the houses but I think each series took these ideas in different ideas and didn't make it seem like they were copying on and other
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

There's a similar vibe there. HP houses were chosen was decided by the Sorting Hat; the faction was decided by your blood.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I wouldn't have seen it that way if you didn't mention that. I think it's a popular concept to group things. We group fruit, people, books, etc. I also think it's popular for groups to occur in books. So as you mentioned harry potter and Divergent. But there are other books, like the hunger games and LOTR which use this as well.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

With both books I found myself split between different classifications. I think most people would not fit into one category.
Also, Divergent explores the down side of each characteristic more than Harry Potter.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I cannot fit one house into one faction respectively, so I choose at least the top 2 factions applicable for each house. These are just my observations in the book and movie versions.

Gryffindor - Dauntless and Amity
Hufflepuff - Amity and Abnegation
Ravenclaw - Erudite and Candor
Slytherin - Dauntless and Erudite

Gryffindor: The main characters in Harry Potter are brave and loyal to their loved ones.
Hufflepuff: Hufflepuff accepts anyone who does not fit into the other houses, thus, I see them as considerate people. (Very underrated house, actually.)
Ravenclaw: They value intelligence the most, and I think they won't leave you alone until they find truth in everything you say.
Slytherin: Most villains in HP are in this faction, and I daresay they are brave enough to reveal their evil and cunning side.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I think that the Harry Potter Houses and the Factions are pretty different, but I also think that they have in common the fact that both of them bring some kind of division according to different personalities and personal beliefs too.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

There are definitely similarities but I think there's only a limited amount of core attributes you can give to someone in any story that uses this trope. Particularly with Harry Potter, each house has several characteristics assigned to it and many characters still have traits from other houses too. I think the common trope of being "sorted" by personality is an enduring one in young adult or dystopian fiction because a lot of us, especially as teenagers, can often feel like certain roles or expectations are being imposed on us which may or may not reflect how we really feel
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I always thought that was a very clear similarity. Each of the factions, as well as the houses, are based on specific characteristics that define the people in them. I think the difference is that Hogwarts houses are chosen by the sorting hat, and the factions are chosen by each individual.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I never saw a connection in the first place. Probably never would have seen it, If not for this topic. :wink:
I personally feel that you can't really connect factions and houses perfectly but there are several similarities.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think to a great extent Harry Potter houses just matter less. If one chooses a faction, it dictates their whole life after that, including profession and how they live etc. So while they may both be personality based divisions and have similar characteristics, a house in Harry Potter doesn't affect your life quite as much.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

meganxxcooper wrote: 30 Jun 2015, 08:36 It came to my attention that Harry Potter houses may be less forceful, but the idea is still similar to Factions. If you think about it Hufflepuff is similar to Amity, Gryffindor to Dauntless and Abnegation, Slytherin to Erudite and the opposite of Candor, and Ravenclaw to Erudite and Abnegation.

Opinions?
I didn't actually think of this but now that you mention it, you're quite right. There is a similarity in that people are categorized according to their personalities. However, Harry Potter's milder because it only applies when they're at school, while the division into factions in Divergent stays with you for life.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

In my opinion, both are similar. Afterall, both factions in Divergent as well as the houses in Harry Potter seem to be in place to group people into 'cohorts' of sorts based on their personality.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

This is a great point, the idea is similar at a high level but houses aren’t as formational as factions I think.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

There are definite parallels between the two. Both systems are a way to group people according to their personalities.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I personally don't see it. I don't really see the Harry Potter houses based on personality, but maybe I am just not thinking that much into it. The factions on the other hand are based on personality traits alone. The Harry Potter characters do not have one personality and only that one. They are more realistic in that area where they have different personality traits, as all people do.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”