A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Post by fire_spice »

For me, it's hard to make a connection. Well, Harry Potter is Harry Potter. Granted there's similar in what the houses/ factions stand for but beyond that I really find it hard to draw comparisons between the two :tiphat:
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

I definitely think that the factions are a darker and more political take on the Harry Potter houses.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Harry Potter houses and fractions are very different, the houses are just giving a sort of family and inspiring competition in a hostel or boarding magic school. It was making a sense of belonging and student to feel welcomed. In fractions, it became the most dominating part of your life and you can't go against it in any scenario.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I got the same sensation, it’s normal for authors to find inspiration in other books and series. I don’t think is a bad thing neither and it’s one of the ways how literature develops.
Recently, I found other review where it was highlighted the similarities between this series and The Hunger Games as well.
Princewill Uchenna
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I think it is very interesting that they both separate people based on their personalities. I wonder if maybe Veronica Roth got the idea from Harry Potter? I think there is a very clear similarity.
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I definitely see the similarities and the idea crossed my mind too. However, my take is that at Hogwarts, your house is given to you and is derived from who you are, consciously and subconsciously. However, Factions are chosen much later in life, and to me, exhibit what you value or aspire to be.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”