Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I prefer the book. Even though I think each one of them has different objectives since they are so different from each other, I think that the book has more details and better character development too. Those are some aspects that are pretty important to me when watching a movie or reading a book.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

The thing is, I actually saw the movie first. I never even knew that it was based on a book until much later. In spite of that, I agree with most people here. I loved the movie, but I loved the book even more. There were so many things that had to be left out in the movie and Tris's character has a lot more depth in the book.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

I honestly feel the books were way better than the movies, the books set up the premise in much more detail which the movie fails to do probably due to limitations of time. In my personal opinion, I disliked the movies more and more with the sequels, I only liked the first movie - the others not so much.
Bookish Ivy
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookish-ivy.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Bookish Ivy »

I usually like a book more than a movie. However, I like movie Divergent more than a book.
Smriti Gupta 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Smriti Gupta 2 »

I feel that both the books and the movies are really well-done. But personally, I like the books a tad bit better because of a number of reasons, the main one being Roth's absolute mastery in the craft of writing and how she had me wrapped around the plot every single second.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Both have their own charm, but as much as I like the book, I can't ignore the fact, that the film is an opposite experience. It activates different sensors in your brain when you see everything in pictures. That said, I would choose the movie over the book.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

While the movies were not bad, they didn't tug at my heartstrings nearly as much as the book did. I, in general prefer books to movies so I might be biased but I definitely like the books better.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I usually prefer books over movies because they have more emotions and you get to visualize all the character's faces, but this time, I'm going to say I liked the Divergent movie better than the book. In my opinion, the movie captured more suspense and mystery than the book did.
Phyll Kamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyll-kamau.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Phyll Kamau »

I always prefer books to movies, as is the case in Divergent.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

aaa123 wrote: 19 Aug 2015, 13:23 What do you think? The movie is meant to be very good but so is the book. Opinions needed!!!
Book every single time. Books have a lot of detail and background story that will enable you understand where the author is coming from a whole lot more, whereas movies have an allotted screen time where they have to cram in as much information as they can (most of them, they are unable to), and if you watch a movie without reading the book, you may not fully appreciate the story as a whole.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I was incidentally introduced to this awesome series by the first movie. As someone, who always puts books above movies, I'm ashamed of this fact. But once I discovered about the books,it was books all the way through. The book is the source material here. And we all know, the source material is always the best!

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

It’s just so hard for movies to compare, I thought the first movie did a good job but ultimately the books win for me!
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Movies are based upon the books. Hence books are the unadulterated source material. Also, I feel movies don't leave anything to one's imagination while the books always stimulate one's mind and creativity.

:tiphat:
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I don't know if I can choose. I actually like both. Both the first book and first movie are very good in my opinion. The others are not my favorite in either the books or the movies.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

I prefer the books, there was a lot more detail in them than in the movies.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”