Outside the walls - (spoilers)

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Outside the walls - (spoilers)

Post by Aithne »

What do you think of those who live outside the borders of the divergent city? What do you think of their actions? Do you think they have done the right thing to watch and wait, or that they are as bad or worse than the people they watch like a soap?
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

Honestly the way they just watch and wait to see what happens reminds me somewhat of the Hunger Games. I definitely think it was wrong of them to allow this to happen, but I don't really know what I would have done differently.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I think they were in the wrong to just watch while this uprising happened and all of these people died unnecessarily. I feel like they could have come in, explained everything, and a lot of deaths could have been avoided.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
kaitykinetic
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitykinetic.html

Post by kaitykinetic »

I think that they have been raised to not see the people within the walls as human, simply as a live action experiment. While I definitely don't condone their actions, I think that they would be more much inhumane if they were watching it as entertainment. I think they truly believe that their work is for the good of all, even though they are extremely wrong in doing so.
Bobbi13045
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Bobbi13045 »

I think in a way they are the ones that should have been in more than one faction. I don't think they should have just watched the people inside the walls, they could have made their own cities, etc. and had a somewhat normal life. I don't think they should have sat and done nothing about the uprising, I think they could have at least tried to help.

-- 06 Nov 2016, 20:22 --
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

kaitykinetic wrote: 15 Jul 2016, 12:29 I think that they have been raised to not see the people within the walls as human, simply as a live action experiment. While I definitely don't condone their actions, I think that they would be more much inhumane if they were watching it as entertainment. I think they truly believe that their work is for the good of all, even though they are extremely wrong in doing so.
I agree. I think their society has really dehumanized the people within the walls. They're like the rats in our experiments. I also agree that they're not as bad as those who watched them for entertainment, but they're not guiltless either. Maybe just ignorant?
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

Even though it was extremely wrong and twisted, for those who live outside the walls, those within the walls are defective or faulty humans who need to be "corrected" in some way so they view them as animals in an experiment and not as human beings. In that sense, even we are in the wrong as many animals are used, harmed and killed during experiments.
"Growth is the essence of life."
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

hannahbm13 wrote: 26 Nov 2015, 13:46 Honestly the way they just watch and wait to see what happens reminds me somewhat of the Hunger Games. I definitely think it was wrong of them to allow this to happen, but I don't really know what I would have done differently.
It reminded me of the Hunger Games too! yes, it was wrong of them to watch the massacre from the sidelines and not do anything about it.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I found the people outside the walls infuriating. Their compliance to sit outside the walls and accept that people will be harmed like animals is absolutely inhumane, especially when they had the resources to help.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

They basically segregrated a whole people without their knowledge or choice simply because they wanted pure genes. That's messed up - but in the end it's kinda human nature? Don't we quarantine infected people to preserve our lives? Divergent just seems like an extension of that in some ways.
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

I do not believe that it is fair that they watched many people dying and separated a whole group of people into five factions, watching them as if they were just experiments that hold no value.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

When you adopt the role of bystander to other people's suffering or going through a bad thing you're almost as responsible as that bad thing. Their refusal to choose to be apart of it was simultaneously brave and cowardly,
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think they were treating some humans as experiment rats and I believe that this is wrong no matter the intention. We cannot lose our humanity by doing such things in the name of "improving humanity".
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Everyone here is mentioning Hunger Games, but this reminds me more of James Dashner's Maze Runner. The outsiders simply watch on from the sidelines, as the researchers did in Maze Runner with the test subjects that had been planted in the Maze.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I think they thought they were in the right from a scientific perspective. However, their experiment clearly wasn’t ethical in any way.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”