Opinions on the Divergent movies

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Opinions on the Divergent movies

Post by AlphariusRE »

Dilution/adulteration of the plotline is what happens with the movies. The books are the orginal brainchild of the author, but as it becomes a movie, the thoughts, impressions and ideas of many more people become attached to it as well. I read the books before watching the movies and I'm grateful for it.
August17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-august17.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by August17 »

After I watched the first movie I was interested in the story, so I gave the books an opportunity. I liked them both. I think the movies are a fair adaptation. There were some details that only the book had, but overall I was satisfied with the movies.
Olamide Ogunrayi
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olamide-ogunrayi.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Olamide Ogunrayi »

I actually watched the first two movies before reading the books. They were what made me interested in the books after all and once I started, I couldn't stop. The books were far more engrossing than the movies and while the first two movies didn't exactly do justice to the books, they were still interesting to watch. However, after I completed the third book, I went to watch the third movie and I was disappointed. The third movie was, in my opinion, kind of bad. It didn't just not do justice to the last book but it veered completely off course, changing directions from the novel entirely. The bittersweet aspect that made the tribology famous and interesting was removed in the movie and it was honestly saddening.
Olamide Ogunrayi

August17 wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 14:57 After I watched the first movie I was interested in the story, so I gave the books an opportunity. I liked them both. I think the movies are a fair adaptation. There were some details that only the book had, but overall I was satisfied with the movies.
I agree, however I feel that final movie wasn't done as good as the first two. Aside from the change from the final book, it seemed lackluster. :oops:
Olamide Ogunrayi

Nazzo wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 15:13 :?:
Sarah_Khan wrote: 29 Jan 2016, 19:55 I would like to know if you read the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and watched the movies that have come out and what you thought of the movies? Did the movies do justice to the book? Also did you read the books before or after you watched the movies?
The movies did absolutely no justice for the books. I think the casting was one of the main problems. The female lead seemed a bit bland to me. Another reason I think why the movies tanked is because there were so many post apocalyptic movies that were coming out at that time (like Hunger Games) and people just got a bit bored of the genre.
:tiphat: Ah. You have a really solid point here. Looking back at it, this seemed to be part of the issue.
Olamide Ogunrayi

Shridhar S wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 11:44 Obviously, I watched the Divergent movie before I read the book like I always do. And in my opinion, the movie wasn't just good, it was better than the book. The movie had so much suspense and mystery! It totally captured my interest.
I doubt this is true. There were so many things omitted from the movies that were in the books and the movies eventually branched to a different direction. Though, I can understand your view because some people do not like endings where the main characters die so that may have contributed to your enjoyment of the movies more? :eusa-think:
Olamide Ogunrayi

Rachel Kubus wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 22:18 Definitely feel like the actor choices were great choices for what I imagined from when I read the books! That is one of the most important things in making a good book to movie transition. The ending was not the same as the books, but I do feel like the books got unnecessarily complicated with details. I think Roth could’ve wrapped up the series in a simpler way like the movies did.
Sarah_Khan wrote: 29 Jan 2016, 19:55 I would like to know if you read the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and watched the movies that have come out and what you thought of the movies? Did the movies do justice to the book? Also did you read the books before or after you watched the movies?
I personally think the books were just fine though and if those details were omitted we would have been left with more unanswered questions. I might have to read the book again to see if I'll have a different opinion
August17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-august17.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by August17 »

Ouryoaie Lamee wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 04:32
August17 wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 14:57 After I watched the first movie I was interested in the story, so I gave the books an opportunity. I liked them both. I think the movies are a fair adaptation. There were some details that only the book had, but overall I was satisfied with the movies.
I agree, however I feel that final movie wasn't done as good as the first two. Aside from the change from the final book, it seemed lackluster. :oops:
Well, yes, you're right. That one was...another thing :doh:
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I watched the first Divergent movie and thought it was excellent. It was action-packed and the sets were well-done. I didn't realize it was part of a series or based on a book so perhaps it's time to check those out as well.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I have both read the books and watched the movies. I felt like both were equally good. The first book especially really drew me in, but the movie did as well. I am not a fan of the ending of the series in general, which is why I don't read the series often. I actually have been thinking about reading them again though.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

:)
The books are better. Much better. I loved the first movie divergent but I found the others lacking. They were not as good as the book.
+3_naume
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3-naume.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by +3_naume »

I didn't know there was a book series,i had planned on watching the movie, thinking it was just going to be some action movie that had a super cool agent, who drove a car around😂 which was dumb of me, since I had judged the movie by the name. When I watched it I was so engrossed by it. I kept thinking to myself which factions would I be in? What if I don't fit into just one faction? What if I lived a world like that?
I kept biting my lip fearing that something bad was going to happen but no. The movie took me by surprise and I ended up watching it multiple times
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

I would say the movie took it to another level all- together. It's an enthralling movie to watch and the author did justice to it.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I liked the movies, but I preferred the book stories better.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I enjoyed all of the movies but still prefer the books.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”