Opinions on the Divergent movies

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
naynag96
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naynag96.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Re: Opinions on the Divergent movies

Post by naynag96 »

The movies were amazing , I watch them at least once every few weeks. I'm afraid that if I read the books , the magic of the movies will be lost because the books will be better ... Someone tell that not true , please tell me the are on par
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I thought they did a pretty good job with the first one but I didn't really enjoy the second. I can't really put my finger on why. I still haven't seen the third because I was so unimpressed with the second but I'm sure I'll see it eventually.
Brooke Moser
Favorite Author: Mary Higgins Clark
Currently Reading: i've got my eyes on you
Bookshelf Size: 60
fav_author_id: 4614

Post by Brooke Moser »

I've read all three books and watched all three movies. I read the books before I watched the movies. I liked the books and the movies equally. I hate the fact that Tris dies at the end of the third book but not the movie. :)
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

I have read all of the books and watched all of the movies. I liked the first book and the first two movies. I didn't like the ending of the book series and found the last movie a bit weird. I wish they both ended differently.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Divergent was amazing. While Insurgent was okay, Allegiant was downright disappointing. I am not a fan of the fake, unrealistic happy ending the movie had. period
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

The Divergent series was my favorite for so many years and I was so excited when the movies came out. I was very dissapointed though. The first movie wasn't bad per se, but it wasn't nealy as interesting as the book; it wasn't remarkable at all. Then, I watched the Insurgent trailer, that inmediately told me everything I needed to know: they had butchered the second book of the trilogy and turned it into something I didn't want to see.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I watched the movie because I had like the book so much! While the movie doesn't do complete justice, as the book can capture many more details than a book ever can, it was a good movie and did cover almost all aspects. However, the sequels of the movie aren't as great and I've lost any interest to watch Allegiant Part 2. However, as far as Divergent is considered it was pretty good and I've watch it several times!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Cath62
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cath62 »

I read all three books and watched all 3 movies. Loved the books, but was disappointed in the movies. Like all books turned into movies a lot as left out.
I enjoyed the first two movies, but got lost on the third and was very disappointing.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I read the books before I watched the movies. Liked the first movie, but , not so much with the others.
Michael_Cries-a-ton
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Michael_Cries-a-ton »

Okay, I am immensely grateful that I read the books AFTER I watched the movies. It's a time-proven tactic now. If there's a hit new movie and you find out it's adapted from a book, watch the movie first! After all, it's only an hour and a half or two.

This proved especially true for 'Harry Potter' series, though I'm sad to say not for 'I am number four' where the movie was much, much better than the whine-fest that was the book.

Divergent movies sucked! They were too fast-paced to tell the plot properly and the genre of the movie was... I don't really know, Sci-Fi/Drama? The books were better, though not literary masterpieces. With the whole song-and-dance about how young the author was and everything, they are palatable; but I would have preferred reading the author's biography of her success than those books. I gave them three stars out of four, and that's because I watched the movies first.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I heard about the book first. But when I learned the ending was sad, I didn't want to read it. Then I got hold of the movie, (not on purpose). So, I watched it and liked it very much. Now I can't not read the book anymore.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I actually watched the movies before I read the books, and found that the books contained much more information and I was actually inclined to read the next one (whereas friends had to convince me to watch the rest of the Divergent movies).
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

If I hadn't read the books first, I think I really would have enjoyed the movies. I did enjoy Divergent even though it was a bit different from the novel. I liked some of the casting as well, but the second and third movies were nowhere as good as the books. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this series, but I did not enjoy the films.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

I read the books before watching the movie and I felt like it was a little disappointing. I loved the books so much and I'm always a little wreary when books are adapted to movies. But I have to say, they did a pretty good job, and the movies aren't as bad as I thought they would be.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I liked the first movie, but after that, it all went downhill. I still love the book series, as I read these first, but the movies generally disappointed me.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”