Opinions on the Divergent movies

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Re: Opinions on the Divergent movies

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I saw the divergent movie first, as I liked it so much I searched and discovered that there was a saga of books, so I read them, I loved them all and then I saw the rest of the movies.
Although the movies are very good, and it has special effects that give it a great twist and adapts to the technology that they were able to handle in the narrated dystopia, in the books they speak and describe many more important things that were not taken into account in the movie.
Anyway the ending was the same and the ending was not to my liking :(
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishi-shah.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Krishi Shah »

Honestly speaking, the first movie was brilliant and faithful to the source material. The second movie was where things started to go wrong and the third movie was miles away from what it was supposed to be. I'm almost glad they never complete the film series. However, Theo James and Shailene Woodley were a delight to watch.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Krishi Shah »

I watched the first two movies before I read the books, maybe that's why I don't see why everyone always seems to be so against them. But the third movie was definitely a mess.
Krishi Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Krishi Shah »

Side note, but I thought the visual effects in the first two movies were also amazing. All the simulations that Tris was in during Insurgent were very well executed. I thought that that's something movies can really deliver and build on, as compared to books.
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

God, I didn't know there was a BOTM forum about one of my favorite series! The movie adaptation of Divergent is quite good, just that there were some parts that did not feel the same as in the book but that can be overlooked. The way they acted the final test scene was the best for me.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Divergent movies have a great sound track and keeps the people on their toes. The movie does not follow book plot line but still matches the world and setting set by Roth.
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I read all the books before watching the movies and I can say the books of course are so much better. The books fill in where the movies leave out and sometimes it is confusing
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

I read all the books two years ago, and watched the first movie about an year ago. I loved the books, especially the first, and I found the movie interesting. I never felt like watching Insurgent, the trailer was off putting.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”