How did you feel about the end of the series?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
chateau_buoy
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chateau-buoy.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: How did you feel about the end of the series?

Post by chateau_buoy »

I liked the ending but it seemed a little bit like Roth was trying a little too hard to make the book special by having the main character die. I liked the series and it made sense like Clifora said, that she would make a sacrifice like that but it was too sad and seemed like the author was doing it for attention. Does that make any sense? I guess I'm conflicted about it!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I guess some people were touched by Tris' sacrifice. I personally don't like endings wherein the main character dies. It was like a dead drop after a roller-coaster of story-telling. Overall, the rebellion was okay, but I would've definitely enjoyed a happy ending.
Gemma24
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma24.html

Post by Gemma24 »

When I read the ending, I wasn't sad about finishing the series like I normally do! I was just disappointed at the ending, it could have gone in so many other directions
bgeyer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bgeyer.html

Post by bgeyer »

I hated that Tris had to die because I would've loved seeing her and Four live happily ever after. But her sacrifice fits so well with her traits that you knew that's what she would do when the time came
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I found the ending lacking. The first book was good enough. The idea of the factions was interesting, but the MC got on my nerves. However, each book after that got worse. It felt like the author lost her motivation or was on a deadline so she rushed out the end of the series.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I hated the ending. I have no problem with the death of a main character if it serves the story, but in this case, it just made no sense to me. There was no reason at all for her to die.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I also disliked the ending. It would be one thing if the book ended right there with her death, but it just goes on and is all about how special and wonderful Tris was. The death just seems like a cop-out. What I really liked about Hunger Games, without giving away any spoilers, is that the characters had to live with the damage after it was all over. They didn't all just nobly die.
HarleyQuinn2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyquinn2016.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by HarleyQuinn2016 »

I really enjoyed reading the first two books. I liked that the second one picked up right where the first one left off. So, it made sense to expect that of the third book. However, I couldn't finish the book. I actually skipped a huge portion of it and read the ending. She took in a completely different direction, that was lost to me. I get they left the faction, and found out they were being watched, but the blood thing it was lost to me, it didn't flow into the story. Maybe, if she had decided to write a fourth book to elaborate more on the situation, how everything came to be, instead of rushing to find an ending, it would have been a better story.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by JanieReads »

I'm the type of person who HAS to have a happily ever after for the main characters. This was the first book I read where the main character actually died. I kept waiting for it to be a plot twist where she's not really dead, like in Harry Potter. It really messed me up when she stayed dead. However much that I HATED that part of the ending, it was very well written. The emotions that Four portrayed were very real to me and I cried right along with him. Very few books have made me cry real tears and this was one, so I'll count it as a win, even if I'll never read it again because my poor heart can't take it.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Series can always end badly, it's just the way it goes. The ending was acceptable in my opinion, but nothing spectacular. A bit refreshing, but I have the feeling it was rushed or that the author ran out of ideas. After so many pages, I expected to have a grand finale but was left with something that was purely ''all right''.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
MelW
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melw.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by MelW »

I absolutely LOVED this series! I only picked it up because it was recommended for people who enjoyed Hunger Games.
I was devastated when Tris died, mostly because I am a sap for happy endings. I connected with the characters and completely understood Tobias wanting to take the memory serum at the end! I must admit though, I did feel like the ending was rushed and could have been done a bit better, but yeah, I really did enjoy the series and am looking forward to watching the movies.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
ShelbyBeatty
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelbybeatty.html

Post by ShelbyBeatty »

I got spoiled on the end and refused to continue reading the series. I made it halfway through the book and quit. I was utterly disappointed.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I wasn't impressed by the ending of the series and I think that the author went a bit offtrack. This disappointed me.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book. Book two was all teenage
“You lied to me!”
“You lied first.”
“Your lie was bigger!”
“I hate you!”
“You smell!”

I struggled to finish the third book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helen_Combe wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 11:49 I thoroughly enjoyed the first book. Book two was all teenage
“You lied to me!”
“You lied first.”
“Your lie was bigger!”
“I hate you!”
“You smell!”

I struggled to finish the third book.
This is PERFECT. And gave me a great laugh.
I hated the last book. It was a whole lot more of that :text-yeahthat:
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”