Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
courtns11
Currently Reading: Every You, Every Me
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtns11.html

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by courtns11 »

Usually not because they seem to never get returned.
CourtneyBritney

Post by CourtneyBritney »

There are certain books that just have to be shared. When I was in high school I would buy multiple copies of my favorite books and keep one for myself and one to lend out. For example, I had a copy of "Perks of Being a Wallflower" that would get passed around and I asked everyone who read it to sign the inside cover and underline, highlight, or write margin notes. It was really amazing to see what had struck a chord with other people in a book that meant so much to me.
didabean
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-didabean.html

Post by didabean »

I only ever lend books to people I trust. There are a select few I will let borrow a book.
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

No, I don't like lending books to other people at all, mostly because I hate it when they don't get returned!
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
[AHP91]
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahp91.html

Post by [AHP91] »

There is only one person I've ever lent books to was my grandma. If I lend a person a book, it must be one I don't care much for and don't have any emotional attachment to.
Thebookwonderland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookwonderland.html

Post by Thebookwonderland »

I used to lend out my books with no worry, but now I am hesitant to do so due to people losing them or never returning them. I leant out my copy of The Fault in our Stars to an acquaintance, who then leant it to one of her friends without asking me, and I never saw the book again. Now I only lend books out to those I know I can trust.
Melissa-C-Water

Post by Melissa-C-Water »

I'm an English chick in a French area so most people couldn't read my books even if they wanted to.
If they wanted to borrow one I wouldn't mind it so long as its returned.
tollyfaye24

Post by tollyfaye24 »

I am completely the opposite. I don't mind at all lending books, for the most part I don't even care if I get them back, but I do wish people would read them right away and discuss them with me. My family and I share books often, and occasionally one lands in the bathtub, but we want them loved and discussed.
love2readbooks
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by love2readbooks »

I very rarely lend my books (the ones i collect) to other people. Only because i never get them back.
beebee216
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beebee216.html
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by beebee216 »

I'm actually in this predicament right now. I am not a big fan of lending my books, the entire time someone has my book I have such anxiety until it is returned. Recently a good friend of mine asked to borrow my book and I've been pestering him every day about the condition of my book. To make matters worse he's a slow reader so I know I won't see my book for awhile :/
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" -Oscar Wilde
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

I am very picky about who I lend my book babies out to. If you are someone I know who will treat it like the piece of treasure it is, then yes I will gladly lend it to you. I did have to learn this the hard way though as some years ago I let my aunt borrow one of my paperback books; bad mistake. When she returned it me, the spine of the book looked like it was ready to fade away into oblivion as she would take the cover and bend it so that it was curled around to the touch the back cover of the book. She also smoked and I'm not trying to judge, but my problem is that she would read and smoke, so my book came back smelling like cigarettes with yellowed pages to look like it was an ancient artifact, not a book I owned for maybe two years tops at the time.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
vs9

Post by vs9 »

If it's a book I love (and if it's someone I trust), I love lending out books, sharing things that touched me....
malutka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92

Post by malutka »

I am torn about book lending. On one hand if I have read a book I really enjoyed I want my friends to read it to experience the same joy and then be able to discuss it and quote it and bask in the glory of it with me. On the other hand too many times the book is never returned and not only never returned but never read and it all becomes a pointless disappointing exercise!!
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I absolutely love lending books! It gets a good conversation started and you can share a common interest with somebody you love :) if you know them well enough then you can make sure you get it back! And as far as conditions go, a book will become worn either way. As long as you can still enjoy the content, any condition is okay!
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
keyana_taylor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keyana-taylor.html
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by keyana_taylor »

No, I feel like the really good books never make it back to me. I tend to tell people where they can buy the book cheap but after 4 of my favorite books were "misplaced" I no longer loan them out.
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”