Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Storyteller"

Discuss the August 2014 book of the month The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.

How do you rate The Storyteller?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
47%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
44%

Total votes: 57

pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Storyteller"

Post by pretzelsnow »

kellyann1214 wrote:I was actually disappointed in this book. I am a fan of Picoult and have been for years. I had to force myself to read the book and was just not able to get through it. I felt as if the style of this book was different than most of hers. I was anticipating something much different than what it was. I still haven't returned to the book to finish it. I felt it dragged a bit and I was uninterested.
Me too! :oops:
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I LOVED this book! I thought that it was thought provoking, and poignant. It was a story that I enjoyed immensely, and I will definitely read it again!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

This book made me tear up because it hit things that were very personal to me. It was a great read and sweet (sort of.) I'll give it a 3/4.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
ravenclaw
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenclaw.html

Post by ravenclaw »

I loved this book. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I love Jodi Picoult's books; I have read quite a few. I predicted the plot twist at the end but I did thoroughly enjoy reading it.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I had to put myself in a different frame of mind to rad this book, mainly because its so well researched and well expressed that one cannot help forming certain imageries in the mind. I think it told the story well and dealt with the a sensitive issue with care.
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Post by aaa1234 »

The story is about a girl called Sade Singer and includes Nazi's and teachers. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the war. Rating is 3 out of 4.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

An amazing must read book
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ck89reader »

I have to say that I read this almost half a year ago, and most of the scenes and situations in the book have stuck with me. For me, that is the true test of a book: whether you can stll remember the book's plot and importat parts long after reading it. I give it a 4/4 score. It was beautifully written with an interesting/meaningtful ending. The ending kept me thinking. I loved how the stories of the characters were intertwined so well. I also learned qute a bit about The Holocaust.

So far, I've read two books by Jodi Picoult: The Storyteller and House Rules. I love her writing style, so I am looking to read more of her novels.
sneal618
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sneal618 »

I have read many of Jodi Picoult's books. In fact, "My Sister's Keeper" was a required book while I was in nursing school and she visited to discuss it. I LOVE her writing style and that she selects challenging topics and researches them to be fairly accurate portrayals of her characters' lives. Though I read this book several months ago, it still socks with me. I've always been fascinated with WWII so I was excited when this book came out. I was not disappointed in the least. I recommend Picoult's books already, but this is on my "must read" list when recommending to others. 4 out of 4, for sure!
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

gali wrote:
Sveta wrote:Few years ago I tried to read a book by Jodi Picoult called The Pact and didn't like it. If the book takes place in a court I don't think I'll read it, sorry to say.
I am also not a fan of Jodi Picoult and don't like her writing. While the subject (the Holocaust) is important, I prefer to read it by other authors. I will skip this book of the month this time.

Some of Picoult's books are okay (in a "I'm really bored and this is all that's in front of me...and I can read it pretty quickly" sort of way), but I'm really sort of iffy about reading a book about the Holocaust by her. I've looked into this one, but ended up just putting it down again.

I feel that it's too heavy, and too powerful, a subject for any old author to write about.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

I really love Jodi Picoult! Her books are usually at the top of my to read list! And this book was no different. It was emotional and heartbreaking. The history in the book was very accurate. I really enjoy reading up on this Era, it's something me and my mom really have in common. It was a story, although fiction, that needed to be told. I rated this book 4 out 4 and I have led recommended it!
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

This book chooses a powerful and sensitive issue and deals with it quite well. The story is interesting and the author's writing style quite engaging.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I plowed through this book! It was my first Picoult book and I was pleased. Not usually a fan of holocaust books (I think im the only one on the planet who didnt like The Book Thief). But seeing as Im away at a timeshare, it was a treat to find this on their shelves. So I checked it out and read it in a day. I hope Picoults other books are this good, Ill have to check more of them out!

I enjoy emotionally gripping novels and this did not disappoint. It really makes you question many things good/vs evil, forgiveness...I could go on but my kids want to go to the pool now.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

I'm glad to read these comments. This is definitely going on my read list.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
highonbooks27
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by highonbooks27 »

I finished The Storyteller about a week ago, and I have not stopped thinking about it since. I would totally recommend this book to others. I have read many of Picoult's books, and I was glad to see that this one did not have a long court case at the center of the plot. I enjoyed each character's point of view, and I felt like I learned a great deal about this time in history. It was a touching book that gave special insight to different sides of the Holocaust. I was able to visualize myself inside the story and try to imagine what each character must have felt. A very good and touching book.....four out of four stars.

Return to “"The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult”