A discussion

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
iheartyte
Bookshelf Size: 0

A discussion

Post by iheartyte »

Hello everyone, I was recently sitting down at my book club reading The Alchemist, when discussing the book my friend brought up that she was once asked to prove that the title character of Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist is Santiago and not the alchemist who lives in the oasis. None of us have a clear certain answer hopefully you guys can help. Thank you
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

Most books having a character's name in the tittle is named after the protagonist. Jane Eyre, Emma, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Anna Karenina, Matilda, Harry Potter series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, etc are a few examples.

Santiago is the protagonist, but for some reason Paulo Coelho doesn't place any emphasis on the name, since it's mentioned only once in the entire book. Hence, The Alchemist. Santiago also transforms himself literally into the wind. I think it's about the one who is becoming an alchemist and not the one who is already an alchemist.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I have read Adultery by Paulo Coelho and it gave an insight to the human mind. Learned a lot from it and now looking forward to read The Alchemist.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think it could be interpreted many different ways and perhaps that it what the author intended. Perhaps the hesitancy to make the notion of the identity of the alchemist a concrete concept in the reader's mind somehow mirrors the magical nature of an alchemist. Like a magic trick - once you know how it works it seems less magical, they say.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I think Santiago is the protagonist and the title is apt because he becomes an Alchemist. He learns to listen to the Universe and also he transforms his body into wind which indicates that Santiago is indeed an Alchemist.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Santiago might not be an alchemist in the start, but he goes on to become one later on in the book. So I feel, the title is very much justified.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

Why would he give the title for the nonmajor character? It is of course Santiago–the alchemist.
Anuvamsha S A
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anuvamsha-s-a.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Anuvamsha S A »

Yeah, I felt it too. Santiago becomes an Alchemist later that's how it is I think.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Liz Alice wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 02:29 Most books having a character's name in the tittle is named after the protagonist. Jane Eyre, Emma, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Anna Karenina, Matilda, Harry Potter series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, etc are a few examples.

Santiago is the protagonist, but for some reason Paulo Coelho doesn't place any emphasis on the name, since it's mentioned only once in the entire book. Hence, The Alchemist. Santiago also transforms himself literally into the wind. I think it's about the one who is becoming an alchemist and not the one who is already an alchemist.
I agree that it is about alchemists in general. I think it's about both the one becoming an alchemist and the one who is already an alchemist. There's something to be learned from both.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Ultimately it's about the meaning of an alchemist altogether. We are all curious about this at the start of the book and by the end we all acquire a deep understanding of this.
Victoria Elizabeth Apili
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-elizabeth-apili.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Victoria Elizabeth Apili »

iheartyte wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 12:56 Hello everyone, I was recently sitting down at my book club reading The Alchemist, when discussing the book my friend brought up that she was once asked to prove that the title character of Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist is Santiago and not the alchemist who lives in the oasis. None of us have a clear certain answer hopefully you guys can help. Thank you
I don't think there is a character who is solely marked out as the alchemist. I think the title of the book is meant to define and describe who the alchemist is. To talk about everything that concerns the alchemist. In a way I feel that all who understand the message of the book become the alchemist. But that's just my view!
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Of course he meant Santiago by the alchemist. It is hard to believe that he meant the other alchemist who was not the main character in the book.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Words that I heard in the Alchemist, and I love it is, "When you want something, all the universe conspires to help to achieve it". So nice! And it's true!
Alexandria Sarai Mitchell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandria-sarai-mitchell.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alexandria Sarai Mitchell »

The protagonist is indeed Santiago, but I think the reason the book is titled The Alchemist is because, that is the culmination of the book. All the roads Santiago took eventually led him to the Alchemist, who when we scrutinize it further, we will see was always present throughout the journey. But ultimately, Santiago finally learns his biggest lesson in life after meeting the alchemist in the desert

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”