“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

It is somewhat true. Yes it feels too good to be true. But when you really need something you work hard automatically. Destiny means something you love so so much. If you love something you do work hard for it. It is no coincidence that you end up getting what you want. I feel this is what Paulo Coehlo must be meaning. But there is also the law of attraction and eventhough I may not be a strong believer, there are people who believe in it. They claim that it did help them in their life and I am not against that idea too. And I believe that we recieve the energy we release into the universe.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I believe in the power of this quote. A strong dream can motivate us to take steps in the right direction even when times are hard. Anyone who has achieved their dreams by navigating through the obstacles and storms in life would agree with this. It takes time but the universe will align and make way for you if and only if you have a powerful dream and the dedication to work hard.
Somasana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somasana.html
Latest Review: Working At The Warehouse by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Somasana »

If your intention is strong enough, then what you want will materialize. You need to really want it....to happen
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I think this quote has more meaning than what is simply written. I think when you want something or when you desire to get something precious, you engage in hard work to get it. When you put your effort and time in it then the entire universe helps you. There is high chances of getting what you desire. But, just sitting and thinking about what you want, it lessen your chances of getting that thing. When man helps himself to achieve something then the universe also helps you to achieve it. You don't get what you desire for free, I believe.
Amna Khalid
Uniter Oyando
Favorite Book: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uniter-oyando.html
Latest Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Post by Uniter Oyando »

Liz Alice wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 14:49 This is probably the most popular quote from The Alchemist. It could even be the most popular Paulo Coelho quote. But I’ve often felt that this quote centers around the idea that as long as you want something, you’ll get it. In a realistic sense, what do you think is the truth behind these words?
I believe in positive affirmations. It all comes down to the law of attraction and the power of the mind.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

This popular quote was also used in a 2007 Bollywood movie “Om Shanti Om”. The exact dialogue was “Agar tum kisi cheez ko dil se chaho, toh puri kayanat use tumse milane mein jut jaati hai.”

I got extremely excited when I read this quote in The Alchemist.

It kind of serves as a base for manifesting something. All good things take time, but if you’re dedicated to achieve something, you’re bound to get it some day or the other. One must never lose hope!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Liz Alice wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 14:49 This is probably the most popular quote from The Alchemist. It could even be the most popular Paulo Coelho quote. But I’ve often felt that this quote centers around the idea that as long as you want something, you’ll get it. In a realistic sense, what do you think is the truth behind these words?
I truly believe that quote. Call it universe or God or whatever suits you, but when you set your mind to do something, you start seeing opportunities to enable you do that.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I remember there was a time I experience such a feeling. That is not always, but there were times I wonder about the coincidences I had and say " Oh...that is a real quote, I am experiencing this conspiracy from the world!"
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

I don't know. I'm going through not so good times right now, and well, just don't have the patience in believing in this quote. I instead feel, sometimes, the universe conspires against us.
millymaina
Currently Reading: The Miracle Morning
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millymaina.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by millymaina »

I wholeheartedly believe in this quote. I think that when you want something and it consumes you it filters through to many aspects of your life. You will start recognizing opportunities, sources tips and lessons to help you along in your journey. It does not occur overnight, but you will notice you are associating yourself with more people who are into what you are searching for.
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

We have the power to manifest what we truly want. You think positive, you get positive. You think negatively, you get negative.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

I think it only applies to good things honestly 😄😄. I don't think if you are thinking of murdering some one for instance, the whole universe will conspire to help you. That said, I think it is a positive mantra to live by. It helps you to soak in all that's good from your environment and notice positive things that are happening.
Victoria Elizabeth Apili
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-elizabeth-apili.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Victoria Elizabeth Apili »

I think these words mean exactly what they say. The universe does conspire to help you when you want something. However, it doesn't give you everything on a silver platter. It is up to you to look out for the signs and to take what opportunities come your way towards achieving what you hope to achieve. But I only believe these words when it comes to wanting good things :lol:
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I don't think that is realistic at all. However, I believe that we should make some efforts to reach our goals. It would be great then if you reached your goal, but if you didn't because of reasons that you cannot control, you would at least feel satisfied that you at least did what you should, and what happened was just completely out of your hands.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Indeed, it was the popular quote that was always repeated in the Alchemist. I truly believe it's possible. As long as you have determination, and align your behaviors toward your goals/dreams, they will come to reality. I love that quote. It's like, it's the same with the message of the book of The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - Law of Attraction.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”