Your Personal Legend

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Re: Your Personal Legend

Post by Valkyrie9 »

amybo82 wrote: 23 Sep 2014, 10:39 At first, I was going to say that I agree with you--I am too afraid to give up everything to go on my own quest. However, I think that if something were meaningful and powerful enough, I would be willing to try. I've definitely gotten more used to the idea of being able to give up all my physical possessions. Several years ago, I was in a situation that forced me to decide if I wanted to hold onto my things, or if I wanted to let them go and better my life. I chose the latter, and I'm so happy I did. I still got to keep some stuff, and I had a really hard time letting go of the other stuff, but I realize now that I don't miss the stuff that I left behind, and I'm much happier now!
That's very brave of you! Although stuff is just stuff - you can always get more stuff. If you follow the path you are meant to, then you will be much happier, stuff or no stuff.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

amybo82 wrote: 23 Sep 2014, 10:39 At first, I was going to say that I agree with you--I am too afraid to give up everything to go on my own quest. However, I think that if something were meaningful and powerful enough, I would be willing to try. I've definitely gotten more used to the idea of being able to give up all my physical possessions. Several years ago, I was in a situation that forced me to decide if I wanted to hold onto my things, or if I wanted to let them go and better my life. I chose the latter, and I'm so happy I did. I still got to keep some stuff, and I had a really hard time letting go of the other stuff, but I realize now that I don't miss the stuff that I left behind, and I'm much happier now!
That's very brave of you! Although stuff is just stuff - you can always get more stuff. If you follow the path you are meant to, then you will be much happier, stuff or no stuff. :D
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Bfrisco wrote: 09 Oct 2014, 11:25 Frankly, I would find it difficult to walk away from everything I know. I've often fantasized about packing up and moving away and pursuing something I think I may love, but I don't know if I could ever work up the nerve to actually do it.
I have also thought about this quite often, but it always comes back to the people that I love. I could never just pack it up and leave them behind. I would miss them too much!
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote: 02 Nov 2014, 08:13 Until this book I never really thought about my own personal legend. I suppose now even if I knew what it was I probably wouldn't try to discover it. I have a husband and three energetic little girls. That alone would make me feel happy and content for the rest of my days. Now of I could go about discovering it and living it out knowing I wouldn't lose them I would.
It is possible that you are already living your personal legend - to be an amazing Mom and wife. That is a treasure in itself :)
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Sweet_Lullaby wrote: 26 Nov 2014, 15:14 Personally, I wouldn't mind, since there isn't really something too important for me right now. I mean, sure there is the basic stuff, but nothing that would get in my way for such an adventure.
It sounds like you are in the perfect position to step out and search for your personal legend right now. I hope you are brave enough and keep pushing until you discover the treasure at the end of your search.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

GKCfan wrote: 17 Oct 2014, 19:24 I certainly couldn't walk away– I have too many connections, and I freely admit that I am not comfortable with change and uncertainty.
Change and uncertainty are, I think, the two main contributors to people not following their dreams. We get ourselves into a comfort zone, and it's too scary to leave it...
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

ElphabaEvans wrote: 04 Jan 2015, 19:15 If I could take my family I totally would! I can't see how my personal legend wouldn't include them, so I think that would be safe. I've recently felt very cluttered by my belongings, so the material possessions part would be very easy for me to walk away from I think!
I agree wholeheartedly! I can't see how my personal legend would not include those I share my life with :ditto:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Katherine E Wall wrote: 05 Jan 2015, 01:37 I have always wanted to do something like that, but there has always been heavy responsibilities on my shoulders. From the time I was a young girl and my mother first became ill, I have been the one that everyone seemed to turn to. I always thought, when this is over, then I will go on my quest. Yet, there was always another yoke to put on. I am beginning to realize that my own personal quest was exactly what I have been doing. My legend is to be there for others, to share in their journey, and to help shoulder their burdens. Interesting how life works.
And what an invaluable role you play! People need strong people like you to be there for them, and to share their journey. Keep up the good work :tiphat:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

melbuhtoast wrote: 23 Jan 2015, 09:26 This is also something that I've thought about through different parts of my life. When I graduated from college, I was at a crossroads of so many different decisions, and I ended up choosing what I thought was the "easiest" path, mainly due to monetary constraints and fear. What I've found looking back at my life now is that you make your own destiny. You can seek your personal legend no matter where you are in your life - it's just up to you to decide that it's time.
I definitely agree - "you make your own destiny". It is never too late to start seeking your personal legend, and the only obstacles are the ones we place in front of ourselves.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I almost feel like life today is not very conducive to such things. Maybe it isn't for everyone or if it is, then it has a different name - fate or kismet or something like that. That, however, is not to knock or belittle anyone who believes in such things - it's just not my thing or my way of life is the same thing with a different name.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

This is a very deep question and the my opinion is that I would never abandon everything for the sake of following my dreams. I find such actions to be a bit selfish. I would never trade my bonds and relationships for anything.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Things would have been quite easier if we had been given a fixed purpose and been directed to discover it. More often that not, life isn't that merciful. The purpose isn't always visible in blacks and whites.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

cyndiha11 wrote: 22 Sep 2014, 19:10 Could you give up everything in order to go on your own quest for your Personal Legend?

I have given thought to this many times throughout my life (giving things up in order to follow my heart), and ended up being too afraid of losing the things I had at the time. What about you? Have you given things up in your life in order to follow your heart?
Keep your head with you, that's what I would say. Take on only what you can handle.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

cyndiha11 wrote: 22 Sep 2014, 19:10 Could you give up everything in order to go on your own quest for your Personal Legend?

I have given thought to this many times throughout my life (giving things up in order to follow my heart), and ended up being too afraid of losing the things I had at the time. What about you? Have you given things up in your life in order to follow your heart?
I think you were right. There can never be any fault in the decision you took. I tried to give up a few things but ultimately realized quickly that it would be too costly. I guess the personal legend really should be worthy. But ultimately human beings are fallible.
Victoria Elizabeth Apili
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-elizabeth-apili.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Victoria Elizabeth Apili »

I mostly use my head :lol: I have found the heart to be confusing and deceitful. It changes very fast. Sometimes we may not know what we really want. But the head knows what we need and what is important. So to answer you question, I wouldn't give up things to follow my heart. My head, most likely.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”