Was the concept of the animated natural forces abstract ?

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Re: Was the concept of the animated natural forces abstract ?

Post by Valkyrie9 »

garima597 wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 02:36 I find the concept new and my suggestion on this topic will be that it actually represents different personalities in our lives who help in one or other way to find our legend.
This is a very interesting take on the topic. I hadn't thought of it like that before. Thanks so much for sharing! :tiphat:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Doug Jones wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 12:36 They were really talking to Santiago. It was Santiago using the Soul of the World to fulfill his Personal Legend. While it's certainly more fantastical than the book had been up to that point, it is consistent with the theme being explored about the Soul of the World uniting nature.
This is true. The book had, up until that point, been emphasizing the point that when we want something, the whole universe conspires to help us get it. The wind and the sun and the sand helping the boy would make sense in that context.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 09:44 I agree with Crazybud. It was a little too unrealistic as opposed to metaphorical for my taste. But I do plan on re-reading the book again in a while. Perhaps I will have a little more insight and can mirror it to reality a bit better.
I have only read the book twice, but, I must say, with each read I have gained something new. Perhaps once you have re-read it, you can come back here and share your insights into the sun, wind and desert scene. :techie-studyingbrown:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Kishor Rao wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 10:28 I loved the way the natural forces came into the picture and played an important role in the transformation of the boy. We had been seeing and were reminded constantly of how the entire universe speaks the same language and we just have to learn it. So I loved that part of the book.
This was exactly my take on this scene: the whole universe was working together, speaking the same language, to help the boy achieve his dream.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

bggraphics39 wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 16:48 Me too. I must admit, though, that I have come across the general concept before, that is elements of physical nature have their corresponding spiritual sides, or better yet the actual physical entities that we perceive are limited manifestations of their truer essence, their energy. The real sun behind the one that we can see is the one that resonates communication in the way Coehlo describes.
"...the actual physical entities that we perceive are limited manifestations of their truer essence, their energy". This is a very interesting take on this, and needs further thought. Thank you for sharing.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Giga51087 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 14:20 It is really a shame that a lot of things get lost with the translation.

I understood the concept exposed in the english version in a quite stray foward maner. But in the orginal spanish version its a lot more subtle, rich in tones and feelings. The warm touch of the sun. The wisper of the wind. The song of the desert ever changing ever static.

Yea yo know im a grown up man now and all the ting that come with it. But even now it touches my heart and I am no ashamed of telling it.
Wow! I wish I could also read and understand the original Spanish version. I am sure that it is much more beautiful that the English translation - and even that is stunning. Thanks for sharing. :D
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think that could be about what one puts into it or brings to the table so-to-speak. In Aesop's fables, the wind and the sun play force and persuasion in one story. Marguerite Henry wrote a story called King of the Wind which was about an Arabian/Barb horse that later because one of the three foundational sires for all modern day thoroughbreds. I assume the word 'king" is used figuratively to mean "one who rules" or maybe "kinging" as in checkers, when a piece is "kinged", signified by placing another checker atop the checker to be kinged. This actually has the feel of the process of the alchemist showing the protagonist how to control the wind: only rather then the two men being placed atop one another (which would seem a bit ridiculous) the player, the Alchemist, has 'kinged" the checker named Santiago. A "king of the wind" making another "king of the wind" but, there is no evidence stating that the alchemist has actually accomplished the same feat. This also gives it a sort of "Midsummer Night's Dream" feel.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I think it's symbolic and has some kind of deeper meaning to it. According to my interpretation, it means that when you strongly believe in something you'll get the power to do the impossible things. When you have a strong goal you learn a way to tackle the obstacles even the ones that feel humanly impossible.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Mary queen wrote: 09 Mar 2017, 07:21 I really found the wind, desert and the sun talking in the book!
Lol! I think I zoned out a bit when I read that part. I mean, I'm a huge fan of fantasy and poetic license but my mind just couldn't reconcile the elements communicating and then I didn't even see it coming.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

It is the most quality of the book, it is abstract but appealing. I have read and listened to about being in connection with God could allow Humans to order Winds, see tides, and Sun. And observing their interactions. in
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Even if it was unrealistic, it was perfect for the book's writing style. It's unrealistic to expect realism from fantasy!
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 13:39 I think it was symbolic and very beautiful, something like the "little prince".
I agree with Sen

Although it took some thinking to understand their symbolic role
Victoria Elizabeth Apili
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-elizabeth-apili.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Victoria Elizabeth Apili »

I found it to be more of symbolism. It made the story more complex and sometimes annoying. The idea of forests moving. I felt it was a little too much. The book is meant to lift your mind to think of abstract things but this was going too far.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”