Favourite quotes, themes or lessons you took from the Alchemist?

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Re: Favourite quotes, themes or lessons you took from the Alchemist?

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

What you want is right in front of you. You should have the wisdom and perseverance to achieve it. That's the concept I grasped from the protagonist searching for the treasure and finding it through someone else's dream...! It was purely coincidental. But still, it was bound to happen! That thought just blew my mind.
dhaval_d84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaval-d84.html
Latest Review: The Last Assassination by James E Doucette

Post by dhaval_d84 »

There are so many quotes and lessons to learn from this exceptional book. The most powerful lesson is about the courage to follow your dreams.

Apart from the most popular quote about the universe conspiring, there are many others I love from this book.

"We are travelers on a cosmic journey, stardust, swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share. This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity."

"Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time."

This is a lovely book. A rich source of pure wisdom.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

What matters most in life is the journey we make to achieveing our dreams without faltering regardless of the circumstances. What would be life without the ups and downs? These are the key lessons I got form this book. The statement that when we want something and believe we can achieve it the universe conspires to help us to achieve it really struck home for me. :)
Devil05
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Devil05 »

“If someone isn’t what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”

Its easy to be influenced by others but whats tough is finding your own path and digging your way through it. We often say that we are a good judge of character, but are we really? If we can't judge ourselves who are to judge others. All we ever dream of is to stand out, to be different, to be unique in world of billions, which is why, its okay to take advice from others and keep their opinions in our thoughts but we have to make sure that it aligns with our passions and our interests.
AJLIBER
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AJLIBER »

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity."
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

One is loved because one is loved,no reason is needed for loving.... This one quote was the deal breaker for me.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

My favourite quote from The Alchemist is "Every search begins with beginner's luck. And every search ends with the victor's being severely tested." I found this to be particularly striking. It means that at the end of the search for his treasure, the searcher will need to prove to the universe - and to himself - that he really, truly wants the treasure. That he deserves it.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

One of my favourite scenes is in the epilogue, where the boy is crying out to the old sorcerer if he couldn't have spared him all the troubles and hardships the boy had endured to get to his treasure. The voice on the wind replies "If I had told you, you wouldn't have seen the Pyramids. They're beautiful, aren't they?". This reminds me that the journey is just as important as the destination.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 08:19 “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.”
I think this quote was life-changing for me. Love needs no reason, love is not logical, love should not need a reason to exist. All other feelings need a reason, hate, lust, anger, fear but love is there unconditionally.
I love this! This quote also struck a note with me. Love needs no reason, it simply exists. Thank you so much for your valuable insight that other feelings have a reason. :tiphat:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

nvii_ft wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 01:09 It is the journey that matters not the treasure. The treasure is only the trigger of the journey but the lessons you really gain are from the experiences of your journey to finding the treasure. It felt hilarious that the treasure was actually at the starting point of his adventures all along. When reading through the first dozens of pages, I thought that the treasure is located in a faraway land but it turns out the opposite. I guess, it's still meaningful that he did not know the treasure was near because it allowed him to go on adventures of self-discovery and life exploration, which made this book truly captivating.
This, I think, is the essence of the book. Apart from the obvious lesson of "If you want something, go for it", the fact that the journey is the most important part, and that the lessons that we learn along the way may be the real treasure, is the real lesson in this story.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Orithea wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 23:09 “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you acheive it.“

I actually knew this quote before I ever read the book. My sister gave it to me as advice when I was thinking about doing my PhD abroad but worried about all the difficulties that this would bring along. This quote helped me realize that it was the thing I “wanted” and that I just needed to find the courage to ask for what I want, and then the universe would do the rest :wink:
I had a wallpaper of this quote on my desktop for half a year, and I still come back to it whenever I need emotional support to do the more courageous things in life ^^.
May you always find the courage to do the things you "want", and may the universe always conspired to keep you on the path you are meant to be on.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

EvaDar wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 20:17 I just read the sample again, and have a new favorite quote from the book.

"Even if my neighbor doesn’t understand my religion or understand my politics, he can understand my story. If he can understand my story, then he’s never too far from me."

Seems important at this time in history. We need to listen to each other's stories.
I love this too! In a time were tolerance is scarce, this is such an important way of looking at things. Thanks for sharing.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Giga51087 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 10:42 Well the "never give" up it is a good one. But in the long term work you also can say "be patient" or "work hard to achive what you whant" are also there.This is from the main character.

From the side characters we can learn also. The businessman show us that change its good. the englishman that trust and action are virtues. From the alchemist that te evil did not come from what the man consumes but of what it do whit is person. And finally from fatima that perseverance an love will bear fruits.
Wow! This is so insightful! Thank you for sharing what you learnt from each of the side-characters. I hadn't thought of this before.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

khaulah wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 05:51 “If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
I also found this quote to be quite pertinent. People always have comments to make on other people's choices and how they live their lives, when they should be thinking about their own choices.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Queenyx wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 08:36 'When we love, we always strive to become better than we are'... this quote has served to make me better in life first when I me my husband, when I started my job and as soon as my kids starting coming forth. I got to be challenged to be better than who i was. I needed to give the best of me because I had immense love for them
This is a great quote! The very nature of real, true love compels one to be better than one is in that instant. And it is how we can know if love is real or not - if we want to be better than we are for that person.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”