Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
10%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 159

Demi Gov
Currently Reading: The Wall
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-demi-gov.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by Demi Gov »

I did a book report on Gone Girl in high school to demonstrate Amy's manipulation tactics throughout the story. It was a great topic because the book teems with suspense and sneaky plots. I enjoyed this book because I enjoy crime thrillers. At first, I thought it started a bit too slow, but after some time, it began to pick up, and I was eager to know more about what was going on between Amy and her husband. The way other characters view their marriage is so different from how it was, and I felt baffled at seeing the contrasts in their opinions of each other. It was such an encapsulating experience to delve into the minds of people like Amy Dunn, who spent her life manipulating others and getting what she wanted right to the end. She was a fascinating character.
Gloria Kasyoki
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-kasyoki.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Gloria Kasyoki »

I surprisingly really enjoyed Gone Girl. I found the story's misdirection along with it's overall layering to be quite captivating. The writing style is highly vivid and captures the dark and eerie atmosphere of the story. The well-developed characters add depth complexity to the plot, making it difficult to predict the outcome of the story. The narrative also divided into alternating chapters between Nick and Amy's perspectives, which adds an interesting contrast between the characters and their versions of events. I read it a while ago and it has still stuck with me. I thought the book as a whole was super intense, which made it really hard to put down. It's a must-read for fans of thriller and suspense genres.
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

Gillian Flynn is the master of psychological thrillers, however "Gone Girl" was a little different than some of her other works. The first part of the book appears to be a beautiful love story set in New York City. Then a mystery develops when a wife disappears and the husband is accused of her murder. Then the twists and turns begin that have you devouring each page.
Flynn's real strength however is in her character development, and "Gone Girl" has you guessing right up until the end as she unfolds the story through the eyes of her two main characters. I did not see the ending coming and thought the final twist was perfection. I would highly recommend "Gone Girl" and rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
Srinjani Sen Roy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Srinjani Sen Roy »

This book has been one of my favourite thrillers with the absolute best plot twist. You read halfway hating a character and BAM- a bombshell with millions of plot twists and now you don't know whose words to trust! The unique thing about this book is the way it is narrated to the reader. The hideous secrets, the dark truths, and the untold stories in a 5-year-old marriage, slowly reveal themselves and make the reader difficult to decide who the true victim is.
Overall, I would say that this is a mindblowing crime thriller and a must-read!
Joy Habuya
Currently Reading: The Maidens
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-habuya.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 100%

Post by Joy Habuya »

I loved this book! I couldn't put it down from the moment I started reading it, and I loved how much the author made me loathe the main characters. They were so twisted and toxic that you couldn't help but think they completely deserved each other. Overall, I thought it was an incredibly well-written and compelling story, even though the ending could have used some work.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”