Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
10%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 159

Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Oh god I have so much to say about Gone girl. At some point in my life I found myself in a relationship with a textbook narcissistic personality disorder with sociopathic tendencies, and reading such an accurate description of the way they behave caused a riot inside of me. It was clear to me that there was a lot of research invested on the development of the characters and it was a book I couldn't put down until I was done.
I agree with the comments about the ending though. The plots unleashed throughout the book had the potential for a stronger ending.
WildFern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildfern.html
Latest Review: So You're Not Supermom....It's OK! by JN Supermom

Post by WildFern »

I loved this book. Some people don't, and that's okay, but for me, it was truly suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat in the best way possible. I read it quickly because I couldn't put it down. I was recommended to it by a friend and I'm glad I was because it remains one of my favourite thriller/mysteries.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

I enjoyed reading the book; I thought it was written very well. But I didn't care for the ending. To me, it seemed very anticlimactic and overall disappointing. Amy's character was created very well and was believable. I especially liked Nick's character; I felt like I could put myself in his shoes and feel what he was going through. Ultimately, I felt really bad for Nick to be married to someone like Amy.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I loved Gone Girl. The thing that kept it going for me wasn't so much the intrigue (apart from the antics they both got up to the plot was pretty dull for a while) as the telling of the story from genuinely selfish protagonists.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I really enjoyed Gone Girl. Even though I didn't particularly like all the characters, they were well-developed, and the story was layered enough to keep up my attention 'til the end. The only thing I really didn't like is how it ends. Although I do understand why Nick made the decision he made, I can't agree with it. This is only a personal opinion, though, and despite this, I still think the book deserves a full 4 out of 4 rating.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I rate this book 4 stars. The suspense was great and Flynn is a master at crime/thriller novels. I'd totally agree with the person who said that Nick and Amy deserved each other 😂. They're both so dark.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

Despite my earlier reply stating that I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars, I have come to find that this book is the first book I've purchased for someone else as a "must read." Maybe I need to rethink my rating :)
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I've read all three books by Gillian Flynn. 'Gone Girl' was my second favorite!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I had high expectations for the book and liked the plot too. I loved the style of narration but the characters were very unrelatable and that hindered me from completely enjoying the book. So I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. But because of the writing style, I read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn and liked it a lot more.
sierra_stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierra-stars.html
Latest Review: Tinman by Karen Black

Post by sierra_stars »

I loved this book so much! I rate it 4 stars and recommend it every time it comes up in conversation. I thought that Amy's diary was so clever, and the switch to her oresent perspective halfway through the book was clever. I was constantly thinking I knew what was going on, and constantly being proven wrong. I loved the ending, I thought it proved that there isn't always an "ending" in life like there is in books. Amy horrified me, but in a way that also intriged me.
Latest Review: Tinman by Karen Black
Ego Emer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ego-emer.html
Latest Review: FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex by Christopher Williams

Post by Ego Emer »

The book was layers upon layers of unexpected twist.. the victims were put in a bad light and it seemed like the book was appraising the abusers.. overall the book is actually beautifully written but for me the characters were not likeable. It's a 3 star rating from me
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Scott wrote: 01 Oct 2014, 21:32 What was your overall opinion of the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn? Do you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?

I absolutely love this book. I got really invested and interested in the story very early on, and then the story totally kept my attention. I think I was more excited reading this book than I am watching an action movie. I do not give many novels a 4 out of 4, but this one get it from me.

I love the way the author intentionally took an incredibly cliche story and used that to come up with a crazy multi-layered story, of which a crucial part is the very cliched nature of the premise.
the book is definitely one of a kind the character of Amy is so twisted and disturbing you would wonder if people like her actually exist in the world, however imaginary as she was, she was deeply troubled and fascinating in a dark way. I would definitely recommend it to people but only adults cause it has explicit sexual scenes
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I watched the movie before reading the book that's why it became boring for me at few pages. Also, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Amna Khalid
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I haven't seen the film yet. I only read the book and it was a great mistery story. It kept me om my toes and I was amazed by the plot twist. I loved the book.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I'd give it 3 out of 4. I liked it but I didn't totally love it. Sometimes a book just gets me hooked from start to finish and I want to read everything by that author. I didn't get that with this book.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”