Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
10%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 159

fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by fari30 »

This book definitely blew me away and I don't think I was alright for at least a week after reading this. I was reading the novel and listening to the audiobook at the same time and I believe that intensified the events of the novel for me. I could hear and read the novel at the same time and I felt as though I was there beside the characters.
My weekend is all booked!
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

I really liked this book and the way it was written. It made me want to read more from Gillian Flynn. I saw the movie well after reading the book, and did not enjoy it at all. Funny how differently I felt about the two forms of media. It just goes to show you how the written word can be more powerful.
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I was underwhelmed by this book as well - I feel like it had become such a hyped and iconic thriller that I had just expected more. I couldn't really connect to the characters, and for me the story just wasn't engaging enough for me to be shocked at the twists.
andalucia13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andalucia13.html

Post by andalucia13 »

While the movie was a bit long, I feel that it gave the viewer a good sense of what the book was like. It allows you to see every detail, from the beginning when the couple first met, all the way to where she fakes a kidnapping and returns dramatically. Very well written
JanLeib
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janleib.html

Post by JanLeib »

I read the book a very long time ago, and remember 'enjoying' it (not sure 'enjoy' is the correct term!). But then more recently I saw the film, and found it extremely disturbing! I couldn't remember feeling that disturbed by the book. I'm sure it's because, obviously film allows a lot more of a graphic portrayal of the story. I found it to be completely extreme and highly chilling. It definitely had a much deeper effect on me than the book had.
JustAnotherGirl2000
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justanothergirl2000.html

Post by JustAnotherGirl2000 »

I've recently got her books and from what I've read about them, they're supposed to be amazing, so I'm excited to read them!
Adrienne Dawn
Currently Reading: The Obsession
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-dawn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Adrienne Dawn »

It takes a lot for me to give a 4 out of 4, because I have high standards for my books, but I finally picked up this book. I'd heard so much about it, and as an author, I wanted to see what the hype is all about. Well, I was blown away by the funky writing, more like stream-of-consciousness, and it was so amazing--kept me guessing and flabbergasted until the end. I would love to write an unreliable narrator into one of my books, but I don't know how to do it as well as Ms. Flynn.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
nina-mouawad
Currently Reading: A Feast For Crows
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-mouawad.html

Post by nina-mouawad »

Gone Girl is astounding. It is a gripping story of the courtship and marriage of a narcissist and a sociopath. They appear to be experiencing the normal setbacks of life during our recent financial meltdown: job loss, relocation, mounting debt, family illness etc. etc. It is easy to identify with them individually, which makes it harder to know who to root for when the wife disappears on the morning of their fifth wedding anniversary and the husband becomes the prime suspect. Neither seems to be telling the whole truth, yet they both remain engaging. Each one alternates as narrator, so not only does the point-of-view shift, but so does our allegiance. Filled with humor and insight, and enough murder and mayhem to satisfy even the most jaded reader, it is a peculiar hybrid that is hard to resist.
AlexisMommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexismommy.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AlexisMommy »

I enjoyed Gone Girl, but got really irritated at one of the main characters at the end. Why, why, why?

I enjoy books that go between different people in the same story!

I read Gone Girl first and that led me to read her other two books which I liked much better.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I listened to this on audio and I think this format made the book more enjoyable for me. It was a very entertaining listen and I remember being halfway through the book, before Amy's narrative took over, and I was like, okay well obviously the husband is guilty. And right as I came to that conclusion, Amy came on and I was like WHAT?! I was very pleased with the twists and turns this book offered, and after finishing, I read two more of Flynne's books, but neither were as enthralling.
Felica_the_great
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felica-the-great.html

Post by Felica_the_great »

I really enjoyed this book. It had me on the edge of my seat because I didn't know what to expect next
Flynn is an amazing writer and I loved the way she brought her characters to life with such unique personalities! I love when characters are so real it's like you can reach out and touch them. And that's what Flynn did for me.
The book as a whole was exciting and masterfully crafted because you literally couldn't guess what was coming. There was a twist in every page turn!
I am looking forward to reading more by this author and hoping that she countiues with her amazing writing style.
lindamoffitt02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 957
Reading Device: B07TMJ1R3X

Post by lindamoffitt02 »

I Like your comparison to watching action movies for keeping your attention. Thanks for sharing your great review. I have had this on my Wish List for awhile. I'll need to check out my online libraries and see if I can get a copy.
:techie-reference: Mrs. Linda Moffitt
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I loved Gone Girl. Both the movie and the book were amazing and everything a mystery should strive to be. It was because of Gone Girl that I picked up The Girl on the Train. It was hyped as the spiritual successor to Gone Girl, and the book definitely was, but the movie was a little bit of a letdown.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I loved this book. It was complex and was always one step ahead of the reader. There were times when I thought I knew what was going on but then there would be another twist! I can't wait to read more of her books!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Just got to read the book recently and wow, I loved it! But then again I do love psychological thrillers where things are not quite as they seem - far from it in fact. I do believe the author did a conscious choice there in creating some unlikable characters, but I had no problems with it.

Btw did anyone watch the movie with Ben Afleck? I enjoyed both and thankfully the major plot points remained, although some details were, of course, different, due to time constraints, etc.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”