Gone Girl Characters-Spoilers

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Re: Gone Girl Characters-Spoilers

Post by Tanaya »

I'm a major fan of Amy! I think what made me like her (though I can easily understand why others don't) was that her reasons for becoming such a vile human being were so subtle. Her parents wrote a book about her that perfected her flaws. How could that not build up in your over time and make you crazy?! I guess I just understood her in a strange way. No major trauma happened to her, but still her ultimate actions were kinda justifiable to me given her past. Trying to be perfect is mentally exhausting and eventually you just might snap!
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I liked that they included the ex-boyfriend whose role in the relationship with Amy was how she was portrayed in her relationship with Nick. I also liked that she didn't see that and how oblivious and close-minded she was on her perspective on things.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Parkerosborne
Currently Reading: Hold Still
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parkerosborne.html
Reading Device: iPad

Post by Parkerosborne »

I loved the characters.. They were both so wrong for each other it was so beautifully perfect. A beautiful disaster! I'm with every single person in the world who read this.. hated Nick at first and felt bad for Amy... but they were both so flawed it worked with their psychotic relationship.
Martha Cox
Currently Reading: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-cox.html

Post by Martha Cox »

I liked Nick all the way to the end. But then when he should have cut and run, he stayed with his wife. Then I hated them both. I was never apathetic about them. I really cared what happened. I had hopes that Nick woukd get away and Amy would be punished.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

It was very hard for me to like this book mostly because the main characters to me were so unlikeable. But once I got over that I realized that was the whole point. I really hated Nick because I hate cheating, but Amy was also really crazy. I was expecting a much more violent ending to be honest, so them staying together was a huge surprise to me. There is nothing romantic or sweet about their relationship but since they are both so messed up I think it was fitting for them to end up together.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Gone Girl is one of my favorite recent reads, with the suspense and thrill of the unknowing. I love a book that will keep me guessing and engaged to the point that I can't stop until I reach the ending. With Gone Girl, I spent an entire afternoon and in to an evening reading, because as soon as I would stop I would just start thinking over the book in my head and have to pick it right back up. Gillian Flynn is great that way. I ending up reading two of her other novels right after, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. Those two had the same sort of feeling as Gone Girl. I recommend those if some of you have not already read!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think that the characters had small pieces of themselves (mostly negative pieces) that would be relatable to a lot of people. I hope the larger character traits aren't relatable! None of the characters were pleasant, but I found that to be a little liberating and made the book more enjoyable. If I don't root for any of the characters to "win" then I won't be disappointed and could potentially enjoy any type of ending.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I can see how you found them unrelatable. I think at their cores, there were certain things people could relate to, like I could relate to isolated parts of them. Like a layer of them might be relatable, but them as people weren't necessarily. I'm not sure if that makes sense. I think they got what they deserved at the end: each other.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

What I felt about the characters is a jumble of different sentiments. At first I felt a little bad for both of them- like this girl was so head over heels for the boy; while the boy feels helpless at their growing alienation. Then I felt resentful towards Nick, because he seemed so obviously villanous. But somehow I still could not suspect him of having any part in Amy's disappearance. He did not have the guts, I thought! Well, when I came to the second part of the book, everything went topsy-turvy! Only then I realized that the 'diary Amy' was too good to be true, too superficial. Since then, I could not even pretend to understand the workings of her mind. I wonder if someone can be so cunning, so calculative, so devious, so horrible in real life? It was scary how she manipulated everyone.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

cyndiha11 wrote: 06 Oct 2014, 16:56 Those two were made for each other! I can't say I disliked how the story ended, and even though I too at times hated the characters with a fierce passion, it made me stick to the book like glue until I gobbled it all up.
This was the same for me. I kept hoping things would get better, but Amy was a master manipulator.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Even though I couldn't really relate to the characters, I thought their development was well established throughout the book. It fit the story, and in the end if felt like it was meant to be, or I should say, they were meant to be.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

The ending turned me off, too. Huge disappointment. I hate bad endings.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I think the strong reaction we all have to the characters is the success of Gillian Flynn as a writer. We hate both the characters by the end, but I was amazed at Flynn's skill in manipulating us. I also felt guilty that I sided with someone like Amy for the first part of the story.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I disliked Nick and Amy at first, primarily Nick over Amy, but as the story unfolded, my hatred of them both grew. Both of their hatred and lies made me extremely upset, and I could not find myself relating to either of them. While I felt that the story did not suffer from the characters, as they were purposely written that way, I definitely disliked the characters if they stand alone. Outside of the characters, the many twists and drama throughout the story were very entertaining, but I found the end of the story annoying and aggravating.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I actually really enjoyed their characters. No, they weren't relatable in the least - that kind of emotional manipulation is reserved for the truly vile but I think that's what makes them so likable. They do deserve each other, even though it can be argued that Amy is a sociopath and should logically be in an asylum.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”