Gone Girl - Constructed images?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Gone Girl - Constructed images?

Post by Scott »

The following is a question from the publisher.

Nick, ever conscious of the way he is being perceived, reflects on the images that people choose to portray in the world—constructed, sometimes plagiarized roles that we present as our personalities. Discuss the ways in which the characters—and their opinions of each other—are influenced by our culture’s avid consumption of TV shows, movies, and websites, and our need to fit each other into these roles.

Interesting topic. I'm not sure on this one. What really interested me is how the clever characters navigated the stereotypes and used other people's habit of stereotyping as pawns in their own strategic plans.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

Nick in the very beginning states how he hates this about our modern culture, yet fell in love with the stereotype his wife presented him. I think that if he hated these fake roles as much as he claims, he would've had a very different relationship with her from the beginning. But yet by the end they both see each other clearly perhaps for the first time, and it perversely seems to bring then even closer despite the circumstances.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

The constructed image that sticks out to me the most is the character Amazing Amy. Hilary says something along the lines of, "I figured out she wasn't perfect and she couldn't handle that." As much as Amy mocks the Amazing Amy books it's not hard to see how they influenced her. Amazing Amy always did what Amy didn't - she kept playing her instruments and joined the symphony, she didn't give up on her tennis lessons, etc. She had a lifetime of not living up to her parents' expectations of Amazing Amy but she could fool other people into thinking she was. When she couldn't, or the person didn't treat her like Amazing Amy should be treated, she destroyed their credibility and taught them a lesson. And I'm sure that when she met other people they expected her to be like the character.

The only other example I can think of is "the cool girl" seen in movies but doesn't really exist, despite many people putting on the mask for a time.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

gaporter wrote: 23 Jul 2016, 21:41 Nick in the very beginning states how he hates this about our modern culture, yet fell in love with the stereotype his wife presented him. I think that if he hated these fake roles as much as he claims, he would've had a very different relationship with her from the beginning. But yet by the end they both see each other clearly perhaps for the first time, and it perversely seems to bring then even closer despite the circumstances.
That's true, in the end, they were both showing that they were extremely complex. It would be interesting to see more about them and their attempts at being a family, especially since Amy turns out to be a total psychopath and a bit of a sociopath.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It gives the story a comfortable feel, I think this was intentional so it made the reader feel like they knew how the story was going to end.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Nick states how he hates this about our modern culture, yet fell in love with a stereotypical woman. Surprisingly when they do see each other by the end in clear light, that brought them closer .
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

Constructed roles play a major part of the novel, its what allows Nick to save himself. He needs to play the perfect husband and play into exactly what Amy wants to hear in order for her to return home and save him from being convicted of her murder.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

This is extremely ironic. His relationship and marriage to Amy were literally as a result of a facade, even from the beginning as he fell in love with her because of the stereotype he desired and was what prompted his cheating in the first place. Amy understood this, and used it to her advantage. I think this is one of the things that drove him to stay with her (apart from the fact that she basically left him no other choice). He could see that she knew his mocking of the hypocrisy of the world and yet unwillingness to break away from it, and he sort of felt reluctant respect and admiration for her manipulation of that.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I thought it was an extremely enlightening topic in the book. I distinctly remember the discussion about how now that everything is available for us to view on screen, we have become copycats who emulate an actor's reaction to a specific problem. I remember breaking up with my very first "boyfriend" at the age of 12 (as if it could have even been considered a relationship) by screaming "It's over!" at him from the school bus window. I felt powerful in that moment, but looking back on it even a few weeks later, I felt foolish. I knew I was just doing what I thought girls did because I'd see so many teenage flicks. Even in adulthood, can I really say I don't emulate what I've seen in movies and television? The character Nick was definitely guilty of doing this throughout the book. He was constantly acting as though he was "on" for an audience. His obsession with looking a certain way works against him as he overdoes it and comes off as flippant about the disappearance of his wife. Amy, however, is too much of a narcissist to change her behavior to match a certain expectation. She is convinced that she has earned the right to be universally adored.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I think this is one of the things Amy takes into consideration when carrying out her plan. Her revenge included ruining Nick in the eyes of the public. She could have done something else to destroy his life - she's already proven herself fully capable of taking a live, but she did something that would make him suffer, using his need for acceptance and approval against him.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”