Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.
Sara Rispo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Post by Sara Rispo »

It seems an interesting fantasy book, but the plot didn't completely catch my attention. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy set in the modern world. Nonetheless, it seems a compelling story that readers will appreciate. Congrats on BOTD!
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Deborah Belanger
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Deborah Belanger »

Your review was a bit intriguing about "Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street. You liked the book from what I could tell while reading it until the very end of your review when you said "vague descriptions were provided that still left many questions" for you. While reading the Amazon sample, this book sounded like an interesting read so I have added it to my reading list. Congratulations to the author for BOTD and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Thatayaone O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Thatayaone O »

Sounds like a very interesting book, will like to read it.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

This is an intriguing coming-of-age tale, in my opinion. Piper seems to be the quintessential "ugly duckling". Coming from her rocky beginnings, and the initial heartbreak and letdowns she faced, one can only conclude that she has a strong spirit, thus, it's no surprise to eventually find out that she isn't ordinary. I also love how the character was woven around friendships and the unique development of her persona as the story progressed.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

The except has been an interesting read. The initial part of Piper’s mum giving birth in the woods to a child who wouldn't know who she was and needed a protector definitely had me intrigued to find out more.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

In this supernatural teen fantasy, Piper Walker perseveres through her dysfunctional life until her senior year in high school. On the vernal equinox, she gets in an accident and gains access to special powers and a magical world that changes everything. Thank you for your honest opinions of the book.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

I am excited to find out how she manipulated the car to have her and her friend's lives. Sounds really interesting. Thanks for the nice detailed review!
Graciela Chaparro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Graciela Chaparro »

Suena interesante la historia de Piper, la reseña transmite emoción e intriga, los eventos desafortunados descritos en este libro y la incertidumbre de lo que pasará con Piper, hacen que lo quiera leer.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 643
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Prophase: A Present Tale” by Mitchel Street is a coming-of-age book about a teen girl named Piper that had been living a fairly normal teen life after her mom died from cancer and her dad became a gruffy, mean old alcoholic. She had a steady boyfriend until a few days before her birthday he told her he wanted to break up with her after a two-year relationship. Piper is a good person that inherited her personality from her mom.

Piper turned 18 on the day of the Spring Dance at school which also coincided with the vernal equinox. She had a serious confrontation with Chris at the dance and then left with her best friends Lisa and Josh and somehow avoid a car accident that would have killed all three of them but Piper manipulated the mere essence of the car and stopped a collision. Incredible special abilities filled her body and that is what saved them. One needs to read the book to learn more about Piper’s new abilities and how they affect her life. This is book 1 of a 2-book series. While this is a book for high school teens it should also appeal to adults.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Essential Gut Health for Women Over 50 by JL Service

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

Here, I'm just trying to put myself in Piper's shoes and realize that it must've been terrifying for her. However, I hope she took it well that she isn't ordinary and made the most of it. Congrats to the author for winning BOTD with this book.
Dun123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dun123.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Dun123 »

Piper seems to have gained more powers on her eighteenth birthday. This is a good review. Those who enjoy fiction will find it interesting.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Piper Walker is mature for her age. Putting her in a coming-of-age fantasy and forcing her to grow more is intriguing. Same about her power. It's a tale to read at leisure. Thanks for the review.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

It is a fantasy novel. Piper, the main protagonist is faced with many things in her life. How will she react when she faces the ultimate truth? Congratulations on the BOTD. A great review indeed and an intriguing story.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street is a coming age fantasy novel with magical and exciting characters. The protagonist Piper lost her mother, which led her father to go into drinking, making her the soul guardian for her brother. But her eighteenth birthday holds a secret, which will change her life forever. A must-read for all the fantasy lovers who yearn for a magical journey. This is a very informative and honest review. Thank you.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 246
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Your Father Has Something to Tell You by Dave Riese

Post by Hy Be »

Nice review." Prophase: A Present Tale" by Michael Street revolves around Piper , who iss on the path of discovering who she is and the role of her in saving the world. The author beautifully weaved imagination, fantasy and self-discovery themes in this book.

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”