Review of The Day I Had a Bulldozer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Review of The Day I Had a Bulldozer

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day I Had a Bulldozer" by Ashley Wall.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A seemingly ordinary boy named Luke was having breakfast when he discovered a bulldozer in his backyard. He went outside to get a closer look and realized he could use it. He drove the bulldozer to show his friends. To his surprise, his friends also had new heavy machinery. One friend had a dump truck, one had a steamroller, and one had an excavator. What did they do with their new finds? Check out The Day I Had a Bulldozer by Ashley Wall to find out!

I loved the illustrations in this book. They were very professional. I really enjoyed how the onomatopoeias were often in large, colorful letters instead of the regular print the rest of the book was written in. This book is so childlike and fun. I can see children laughing at Mikey rolling over things he shouldn’t with the steamroller by mistake. The idea of a child owning his or her own construction equipment is something that many children dream about!

There were minor conflicts between Mikey steamrolling the wrong things and Luke needing to return home for dinner, but that was about it. Overall, the story lacked conflict. Also, there was never any explanation given as to how these machines showed up. It would have been nice if that was either addressed or if Luke had wondered at the end where they came from, even if it was a secret from the reader.

The drawbacks were minor enough that this book still deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I think young children would love this book too much to give it any less. The illustrations really took it to the next level. I found no errors, so I can say the book was also professionally edited.

I would recommend this book to young children who enjoy construction equipment. They would enjoy imagining themselves driving each of those vehicles like the kids in the story did. Pick up a copy of The Day I Had a Bulldozer to read all about the adventures of Luke and his friends!

The Day I Had a Bulldozer
View: on Bookshelves
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

Excellent review. I had no idea that this much could be gotten out of a children's book. Awesome job. I especially loved the word onomatopoeias that you used.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I like that children's books have colorful pictures and also highlight important values to pass on to children from an early age, and this book seems to do just that.

Thank you very much for your review.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I'm trying to imagine the size of the equipments that they found. were they the normal big ones we see on the roads or just sizeable for children. Children will love the book especially those who love anything related to engineering.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Hossam Ali 4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hossam Ali 4 »

In this book, it gives the child the ability to give more and enhance his self-confidence by owning equipment and loving others. I recommend reading it
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

The book was great. Your review makes me think that you are thinking like an adult instead of thinking like a kid. They don't need explanations, they just need fun. The book was a fun read. I read all of it. It was so funny and seemed so fun. I have had dreams this way when I was a child, of me driving my dad's car so I guess I know where this is coming from. Congratulations to the author for BOTD and best wishes for future projects.
Dammy_Reuben
Favorite Book: The Last Thing He Told Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dammy-reuben.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Dammy_Reuben »

Looks like this book is going to be an awesome read even for adults. Imagine owning a bulldozer!!! We learn a lot from children and their books... something that we took for granted as kids. Wonderful review!
Aang Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ni-ketut-anggraeni.html

Post by Aang Krishna »

Thank you for very pleasant review. The cover is very attractive and the storyline is wonderful. This book remind us how beautiful childhood is. I Love it. Congrats & GBU
:techie-studying gray: keep reading book and always happy
Aang Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ni-ketut-anggraeni.html

Post by Aang Krishna »

Thank you for very pleasant review. The cover is very attractive and the storyline is wonderful. This book remind us how beautiful childhood is. I Love it. Congrats & GBU
:techie-studying gray: keep reading book and always happy
Ginger Gammons
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginger Gammons »

Luke is a little boy with a big imagination and ready for adventure. With his dog, Bobo, at his side Luke quickly realized that this day was no ordanary day.
Bobo alerted Luke of something right outside the window that was going to bulldoze away any chance of a boring day! Just outside was a great big bulldozer waiting for Luke to climb inside and take his four legged pal on an adventure. Lukes first stop was at his best friend Noah’s house.
After a short drive to Noah’s they quickly realize Luke isnt the only boy who got a surprise. Noah is in his own dumptruck! Noah excitedly tells Luke that his dumptruck can haul 28,000 lbs of dirt! The boys are quick to begin making the biggest dirt pile ever seen. Bobo burrowed himself completly into a hole at the center of the gigantic dirt pile. It doesnt take Bobo long to notice a loud sound coming from nearby. They jump into action as they realize the sound is their friend Mikey and he is having some trouble with operating a great big paver! After Mikey accidently makes a mailbox into a pancake the boys decide to get a little more space down at the park.
At the park the boys spot Emma. Emma was hard at work operating an escavator.
They decide to work together to pave a new path to the icecream shop. After many struggles and a lot of frustration for Mikey he finally smoothed out his driving abilities and leads the team to the ice cream shop on a brand new road that needed each one of their special talents to build a shortcut.
After getting their ice cream Luke realized they had been working all day long and it was getting late. Luke began to get nervous as he thought of the long distance the icecream shop was from his home. just when he thought he wasnt going to make it home on time he thought about all the hard work they had done and that hard work paved a shortcut right to Lukes home!
That night at dinner luke shared his exciting story of bulldozing and teamwork with his family and eagerly awaited what tomorrow would bring about.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It would be incredibly wonderful for a child to find heavy machinery toys in his or her backyard. This book seems to have a fun story, positive messages, and artistic illustrations. That is, everything a children's book should have.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

"The Day I Had a Bulldozer" is a children's book designed with a formatting style that encourages an adult to read it to a child. This approach ensures that the adult can actively engage with the child, assisting in the flow of thought and making the reading experience more enjoyable and interactive.
farheen mansoori
Currently Reading:

Post by farheen mansoori »

Review: "The Day I Had a Bulldozer" is a heartwarming tale that captures the imagination of young readers. The concept of having construction vehicles as companions adds a whimsical touch to the narrative, making it both entertaining and educational. The book not only explores the joy of play but also emphasizes the value of friendship as Luke shares this extraordinary experience with his pals. The colorful illustrations and engaging storyline are likely to captivate children's attention and spark their curiosity about construction vehicles.

The author skillfully weaves together elements of adventure, friendship, and the fascination children often have with construction machinery. Parents and educators will appreciate the positive messages embedded in the story, promoting cooperation, teamwork, and the thrill of imaginative play. Overall, "The Day I Had a Bulldozer" seems like a delightful addition to children's literature, offering a blend of excitement and positive values for young readers to enjoy.
Michael Wedd

Post by Michael Wedd »

Sounds to me like a book that can potentially be educational, even somewhat,but also fun enough to teach children who read it that education IS fun,so to promote learning.i would most likely purchase this book, based off the review alone, for a young child in my family.
Last edited by Michael Wedd on 05 Dec 2023, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Michael Gambo »

"The Day I Had a Bulldozer" is a children's book with a formatting style that forces an adult to read it to a child. This approach makes it less accessible for independent reading by children and could be seen as a drawback, limiting the child's ability to engage with the book on their own.
I believe in something greater than myself.

Return to “Children's Books”