Review of Arctic Dinosaurs of Alaska

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: New Vista by Brian J. Squire

Review of Arctic Dinosaurs of Alaska

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Arctic Dinosaurs of Alaska" by Bonnye Matthews.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dinosaurs lived on our planet up until 2.58 million years ago. They thrived in conditions exceptionally different than ours and faced many different challenges. The author mentions in the book that while we don’t know exactly what life was like for all the different species of dinosaurs, the fact they survived for millions of years shows us they at least had some idea as to what they were doing.

In Arctic Dinosaurs of Alaska, Bonnye Matthews tells the story of Pakky, a young pachyrhinosaurus learning to navigate life as a dinosaur. The audience follows her as she discovers how her species survives and thrives through sunless winters, hunger, and predators.

This book was written incredibly well! The author’s language was simple and easy to understand, and her creativity made for a very entertaining read. There were a few dinosaur names I had to look up, so I could get a picture in my head of whom I was reading about, making my experience more interactive and enjoyable. I think others may need to do that as well, and I believe it is a good thing, as it can be quite educational. Luckily, I didn’t have to research too many things, as there were some very helpful diagrams included in the book. They showed the different types of dinosaurs, where they lived in the world way back when, and their way of life. These will definitely help keep younger readers entertained!

I greatly enjoyed my time reading this book. I can’t say I was all that inspired to learn about dinosaurs prior to reviewing it, but Matthews did a fantastic job keeping me entertained with her wonderful storytelling. I thought it was quite creative to write a book that doubled as a coloring book. It is such a great idea to keep readers entertained. The book was exceptionally well-edited, as I found no errors whatsoever. I couldn’t come up with any negative points to bring up while writing my review, so I am happy to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to younger readers interested in expanding their vocabulary and looking to learn some new facts. I’m confident that any readers would enjoy their time reading the book as much as I did!

Arctic Dinosaurs of Alaska
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Ris Hi
Currently Reading: The Physics of Morals
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ris-hi.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Ris Hi »

Your thorough and positive review of "Arctic Dinosaurs of Alaska" was truly enlightening and influential. I want to extend my gratitude for sharing your thoughts on the book. Your keen observations about the engaging storytelling, comprehensible language, and the added value of informative diagrams truly resonated with me.

It's inspiring to witness your enthusiasm and the impact the book had on your perspective. The recommendation for young readers and the detailed insights shared are greatly appreciated. Thank you for shedding light on the book's strengths and for providing such a comprehensive review.
Terry Kimble
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Full Circle
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Terry Kimble »

Your review has made me suddenly interested in the plight of the dinosaurs! I enjoy books that force me to go look things up and this one might be the perfect choice for showing my granddaughters how fun and fulfilling it is to do research. They are quite young at the moment but I'm sure they'll be old enough for this book in the blink of an eye! I'm happy that I came across this very interesting review! :clap:
Mian Waseem Shah
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mian-waseem-shah.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Mian Waseem Shah »

I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I think it is an enjoyable and informative read that will appeal to dinosaur lovers and history buffs alike. The book is well-researched and well-written, with memorable characters and exciting scenes. The book also offers a unique perspective on the diversity and evolution of dinosaurs in Alaska.

Return to “Children's Books”