Review of We Both Speak English but …

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soma Ezenwanne
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: Nina and Ti Punch, A French West Indies Tail by Renee Binzer

Review of We Both Speak English but …

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We Both Speak English but …" by Heather Bradley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I've read that accents are a great way to immerse yourself in a character. Our capacity to learn about and adapt to other people's customs is what truly sets us apart from the crowd. Yet, everyone is born with their own culture, dialect, accent, and other characteristics. Two cousins, two countries, and sort of one language are the subjects of Heather Bradley's book We Both Speak English but....

The book informs us that she takes the lift while her cousin takes the elevator. She has biscuits as treats, and her cousin has cookies as treats. Arlene jumps the rope at recess while her cousin plays skipping at recess. When Arlene wants to splash in puddles, she wears slickers and Wellingtons and carries a brolly, while in the same situation, her cousin wears a raincoat, rubber boots, and an umbrella. Her cousin plays soccer on a team, while Arlene plays football on a team. Arlene wears trousers, but her cousin wears trousers, and this book contains interesting and informative experiences of these cousins that would benefit children, which makes me feel that every parent should purchase a copy for their child.

This book was unique, and its ideas appealed to me greatly. The book's gorgeous illustrations made it a pleasure to read. The author made the book's contents incredibly informative, and any child would be grateful to have had such early-enlightening experiences. The book also fosters family bonds by demonstrating to cousins how they can be from different cultures and still love each other. The word choices, such as brolly, telly, frock, flake, and many others, were well chosen and used, and I like that the book includes an area for youngsters to practice new words at the end.

I don't dislike this book because its contents are educational and appropriate for the intended audience. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because its innovative approach will positively impact children. I saw no faults while reading this book, indicating that the editing was flawless. I recommend this book to parents of children aged 7 to 12.

We Both Speak English but …
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Children's Books”