Review of My Protest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Fear To Freedom by Dr Keith L Marshall, PsyD, MHD

Review of My Protest

Post by Salome Ogani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Protest" by Linda Bessellieu-etal.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jaliyah was very young when her father passed away. She did not fully understand why he died or what had happened. All she knew was that one day, her dad was there, and the next, he was gone. This book is her protest, narrating all the things she could see if she could peek into heaven.

My Protest: If I could peek into heaven ... To See What My Daddy Is Doing by Linda G. Bessellieu, Jaliyah Bessellieu - Webb & Tawana Bessellieu serves as the authors' creative protest against the unknown, an aching attempt to depict the beauty they imagine lies beyond this world. Jaliyah longs to glimpse into heaven, a portal to see through. What could one glimpse if such a portal appeared? What wonders might be caught in a momentary look through a divine lens to see Jaliyah's daddy?

The authors craft intricate depictions of the marvels she pines to see in the great beyond and what she thinks her daddy would be doing at each point. The accompanying illustrations by Mehk Arshad further bring these visualizations to life through vibrant, poetic renderings. Each image overflows with radiant color and light, expanding on the rich world conjured from the author's perspective. Arshad's illustrations add palpable texture and dimension, imbuing the written vistas with imaginative detail.

This book gently extends a healing hand to grieving families traversing the long road of loss. For mothers whose beloved husbands have passed too soon, the sudden absence can reverberate through the home, leaving children confused and longing. By envisioning loved ones thriving joyfully in the heavens above, this book provides imaginative comfort for little ones struggling to comprehend life's hardest goodbye. Its tender words and illustrations create a safe space where the next generation can process grief while also keeping the memory of those departed alive in their impressionable hearts. There was nothing I disliked about the book, and it was professionally edited, which is why I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars.

To any mother piecing their child's shattered world back together after it was too soon torn asunder, this book offers a temporary patch over the holes—a way to imagine happier endings above the clouds. Its visionary pages give hurting kids permission to picture their father radiant with light and love in some far-off celestial place. They are the ones I recommend the book to.

My Protest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

Comment: This review is helpful, providing insights into the book's content and its potential impact on grieving families. It appears to be a sufficient review, highlighting the book's imaginative approach and the comfort it offers to children processing grief. It should motivate those seeking support to consider purchasing the book. Overall, from the reviewer's perspective, it seems like a valuable addition to anyone's library dealing with loss.
A new me
Currently Reading: Breaking the Mold: Remodeling your Way to Success
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-new-me.html
Latest Review: Breksta's Academy by Natasha Quay
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by A new me »

Wow, this is a beautiful and heartwarming children's book. How will it feel if we could peek into heaven to see what and how our deceased loved ones are doing...such beautiful imagination and plot. Thank you very much for this brilliant review.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Death Origins by Laurent Cousineau

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

This is a touching book from what I can see. It is sad to lose a loved one. Does Jaliyah manage to get a glimpse of her father? Does he receive her message? This book will be really helpful to a lot of children.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Jaliyah experienced the loss of her father at a tender age, and the circumstances surrounding his passing were not fully comprehensible to her. The sudden transition from having her dad present one day to his absence the next left her with unanswered questions.

Return to “Children's Books”