Infant Reading

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ganjie7
Currently Reading: Code Name Verity
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ganjie7.html

Infant Reading

Post by ganjie7 »

I am a new mother and have found that reading to my 6 month old baby is the key to making him fall asleep. I would to hear of recommendations that some may have for books to read for babies. I have read quite a few but so far my favorite is called "Mustache Baby by Bridget Heos. This cute gem has colorful pictures that are an eye catcher for any infant. The story line is a sweet and appropriate for mothers to read to their children. A young baby is born with a mustache and the length of the mustache depicts either a good guy or a bad guy. The imagination of occupations that the mustache baby does are from good guy jobs to bad guy jobs. The ending is quite hilarious but I won't spoil it!
Jhan723
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhan723.html

Post by Jhan723 »

I've been reading to my daughter since we brought her home. We've read all sorts of books from picture books to chapter books. Chapter books were more for times when she was going to bed or in the bath. But she really liked books that had characters that i had to change my voice a lot. Her favorite book was "You are my cupcake" by Joyce Wan. It was a cute book with cute colorful pictures. She has most fun with books that have flaps. It helped a lot with her fine motor skills and she's become very careful with her books now because they aren't as much fun if the flaps are ripped off.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I am glad to hear that you read to your infant! Most people don't understand the benefits of reading to small infants. They don't understand just how much they are helping their baby to learn and develop just by doing something as small as reading a book! Its priceless and wonderful bonding time between parent and child.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

When it comes to reading to infants, I recommend anything you can find that interests you! This can include chapter books or your favorite books as well, not necessarily ones geared toward children.

Board books are also wonderful for promoting literacy skills! They are much more sturdy for little hands and it helps build those early skills by letting them touch the book, learn how it’s oriented, and view pictures and printed words.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Children's Books”