Review of ABCs for SATs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abiodunakinola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Review of ABCs for SATs

Post by Abiodunakinola »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "ABCs for SATs" by Elise MacArthur.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“ABCs for SATs” by Elise MacArthur is a children's book that the author wrote to increase children's English vocabulary. The stories in the book are narrated using a small boy named Arthur as the main character, and his life experiences are what we are going to enjoy in this book, along with the lessons that come with them. The first story is about how Arthur, who had many toys, grew apathetic playing with many of them. His parents, seeing this, advised him to share his toys with his friends. He was at first adamant but later agreed, and this helped as he and his friends joyfully played together with the toys, teaching him to adapt to sharing his toys with his friends. To enjoy all the other stories in the book, read “ABCs for SATs.”

The stories are interesting and contain many lessons. One thing I enjoy about the stories is how they are short and straight to the point. One of the stories I learned from is the one where Arthur went out with his friends. While his friends were playing on the slides, he didn't join them because of his fear of heights. When one of his friends, named Sophie, saw this, she resorted to telling Arthur stories of courage. With all his friends also cheering him on, he conquered his fear of heights and climbed the slide. My take on this story is that children should learn how to encourage and support one another. This story also applies to adults. When any of our friends think they can’t achieve something, we should encourage them and help them to the best of our ability.

Another important story is how Arthur saw a book filled with different tales of adventure and was eager to read this book to learn new things, but he found himself struggling to read some words. He decided not to give up, and this made him imitate his classmates’ dedication and practice reading every day. This method helped him, and he was able to accomplish his goal of reading the book. The lesson learned is that any child or adult who is struggling to read can also practice reading every day.

I like how the author brings out vocabulary in each story and provides meaning to each of those words. This would help children understand the stories better while reading. All the small diagram representations in each story would also enhance children's reading. The author's writing style is conversational, and I did not find any negatives in the book.

The book is also exceptionally well-edited. Therefore, I would rate this book five out of five stars. I would recommend this book to children, as they would find a lot of lessons in the book, such as the importance of helping one another, the need to be patient in all things, and many more.

ABCs for SATs
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The lessons that Arthur learns in this book would definitely be helpful for children. As a matter of fact, they seem like they would be helpful for anyone. There are many adults that did not learn these things when they were growing up. Thanks!

Return to “Children's Books”