Review of The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Terry Kimble
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Full Circle by Sam Bierstock

Re: Review of The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition

Post by Terry Kimble »

This book is a big yes for me! Thank you for such an insightful review, Gerry. I, too, kept a list of my favorite words (and books) as a child. My barely 3-year-old granddaughter already reads and enjoys words. This book is going to her library. I also love African Elephants and own quite a collection of multi-sized figurines (Asian and African) complements of students, friends, and family! :lol2:
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Terry Kimble wrote: 25 May 2024, 11:10 This book is a big yes for me! Thank you for such an insightful review, Gerry. I, too, kept a list of my favorite words (and books) as a child. My barely 3-year-old granddaughter already reads and enjoys words. This book is going to her library. I also love African Elephants and own quite a collection of multi-sized figurines (Asian and African) complements of students, friends, and family! :lol2:
Terry, I am happy that this book interests you. It is well done. Your granddaughter will love it and so will you. :techie-studyinggray:
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: Ruins of Sea and Souls
Currently Reading: Queens of Mist and Madness
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Lonely Riders by Michael D. Dennis
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Gerry Steen wrote: 20 May 2024, 23:25 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition" by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you like your children to learn about South African animals, culture, and language? Do you want your children to see art that portrays South African flora, fauna, and village life? Are you interested in your child developing a new vocabulary consisting of English and Zulu words? If you answered yes to these questions, you should get a copy of The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Debra Ford.

The author was inspired to write this book so that their grandchildren could experience the family’s South African heritage. Ford’s three granddaughters Emilia Rose, Isla Mae, and Audrey Jane were cousins.

The cousins were used as characters in the story. They believed that in their dreams people could travel anywhere and communicate with everything. The girls agreed to meet in their dreams and journey to South Africa to see elephants. Along the way, they came across several floras and faunas including a weever bird, ant, puff adder snake, dung beetle, daddy long-legs spider, dragonfly, and fever tree. They each greeted the children, explained their habits, and gave advice to make the journey easier.

Children reading this story will be treated to interesting facts about the flora, fauna, landscapes, and people the girls met on their journey. The book features beautiful artwork depicting wildlife, landscapes, villages, and people. The art is lively and bright. Juvenile readers will be captivated by the childlike style, beauty, and vivid colors of this artwork.

Amusing words were sprinkled throughout the story. Audrey Jane kept a list entitled "Audrey Jane’s Favourite Words." The list included cacophony, brouhaha, snorkel, nocturnal, gyrating, perturbed, ambulatory, and ginormous. This list appeared in the appendix with a short definition for each word. Several Zulu words were introduced in the story. Their pronunciation was spelled out in English, and their definitions were given. The Zulu words included thula, manyeleti, woza, sawubona, hamba gahle, yebo, gogo, amanzi, umama, indlovu, jigamanzi, ubuntu, and yabonga. The Zulu words added authenticity to the South African theme.

This book has short chapters, various themes, and vivid art. All of these factors will contribute to keeping your 3 to 6-year-old child enthralled. This book is appropriate for early readers up to 9 years old. Adults will enjoy reading the appendix and glossary that provide more information to discuss with their child.

This storybook succeeded in giving me a genuine South African experience. The editing was professionally done, and the story was easy to read. The art was pleasing to the eye. I did not find anything to dislike about the book. The following information was provided in the official book description I read before reading and reviewing this book: “This book introduces spirituality to children (not religion), to understand their connection with all (insects, birds, animals and plants) and to know that they are 'more than their physical body' and therefore can explore their dreams. This book will NOT appeal to those who hold strong traditional religious beliefs, especially Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.” I am a Christian, and I was not offended at all. In conclusion, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This sounds like a lovely book that I would be interested in reading to my little cousins. They would appreciate a book with amazing art and I love that the appendix and glossary can help me expand on the information that is presented in this book. I will be keeping this book in mind. Thank you for the insightful review!
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Susan Ledezma wrote: 25 May 2024, 13:11
Gerry Steen wrote: 20 May 2024, 23:25 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition" by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you like your children to learn about South African animals, culture, and language? Do you want your children to see art that portrays South African flora, fauna, and village life? Are you interested in your child developing a new vocabulary consisting of English and Zulu words? If you answered yes to these questions, you should get a copy of The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Debra Ford.

The author was inspired to write this book so that their grandchildren could experience the family’s South African heritage. Ford’s three granddaughters Emilia Rose, Isla Mae, and Audrey Jane were cousins.

The cousins were used as characters in the story. They believed that in their dreams people could travel anywhere and communicate with everything. The girls agreed to meet in their dreams and journey to South Africa to see elephants. Along the way, they came across several floras and faunas including a weever bird, ant, puff adder snake, dung beetle, daddy long-legs spider, dragonfly, and fever tree. They each greeted the children, explained their habits, and gave advice to make the journey easier.

Children reading this story will be treated to interesting facts about the flora, fauna, landscapes, and people the girls met on their journey. The book features beautiful artwork depicting wildlife, landscapes, villages, and people. The art is lively and bright. Juvenile readers will be captivated by the childlike style, beauty, and vivid colors of this artwork.

Amusing words were sprinkled throughout the story. Audrey Jane kept a list entitled "Audrey Jane’s Favourite Words." The list included cacophony, brouhaha, snorkel, nocturnal, gyrating, perturbed, ambulatory, and ginormous. This list appeared in the appendix with a short definition for each word. Several Zulu words were introduced in the story. Their pronunciation was spelled out in English, and their definitions were given. The Zulu words included thula, manyeleti, woza, sawubona, hamba gahle, yebo, gogo, amanzi, umama, indlovu, jigamanzi, ubuntu, and yabonga. The Zulu words added authenticity to the South African theme.

This book has short chapters, various themes, and vivid art. All of these factors will contribute to keeping your 3 to 6-year-old child enthralled. This book is appropriate for early readers up to 9 years old. Adults will enjoy reading the appendix and glossary that provide more information to discuss with their child.

This storybook succeeded in giving me a genuine South African experience. The editing was professionally done, and the story was easy to read. The art was pleasing to the eye. I did not find anything to dislike about the book. The following information was provided in the official book description I read before reading and reviewing this book: “This book introduces spirituality to children (not religion), to understand their connection with all (insects, birds, animals and plants) and to know that they are 'more than their physical body' and therefore can explore their dreams. This book will NOT appeal to those who hold strong traditional religious beliefs, especially Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.” I am a Christian, and I was not offended at all. In conclusion, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This sounds like a lovely book that I would be interested in reading to my little cousins. They would appreciate a book with amazing art and I love that the appendix and glossary can help me expand on the information that is presented in this book. I will be keeping this book in mind. Thank you for the insightful review!
Hi, Susan. I am happy that you want to read this book to your little cousins. You won't be disappointed!
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Secrets of the Kashmir Valley
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

As the world progresses, it's easy to lose touch with our roots and cultures. The ways of our ancestors are often overshadowed by modern advancements, but I firmly believe that the unique traditions and values passed down through generations play a crucial role in shaping our lives and guiding our decisions. The author of this book was inspired to preserve their family's South African heritage for future generations, particularly their grandchildren so that they could experience and appreciate their rich cultural legacy.

I appreciate that your review poses important questions to help potential readers determine whether this book is a good fit for them, ensuring they don't waste their time on something that doesn't resonate with them. Your unbiased and thoughtful review is invaluable for anyone considering this book. Thank you for your honest insights.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Story Of... by Shirley B Novack
2024 Goal Completion: 103%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Great review! I think that I'll pick up a copy of the book for my two youngest grandsons.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

An awesome read Gerry. As a South African I am already reminded of what I take for granted while others travel the world for and that's amazing. A great review by the way. It is also true those Zulu words do mean a lot in South Africa " Ubuntu " which is unity and coming together for a common good. I'm glad you enjoyed the read . I might as well grab myself a copy too
Be yourself and nothing less
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Awesome review for an awesome book! I love South African stories and I've read quite a lot. I believe that this one too will be an interesting book. Thanks for the engaging review!
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Blockhead by Kyle J.S. Bardell

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Very interesting concept for a book, and especially a children's book! I'm glad kids who are born to immigrants or in the diaspora can still have vibrant stories exploring their cultural heritage and their language. You've successfully piqued my curiosity. Great review as always!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Charmaine Mahlangu wrote: 26 May 2024, 14:13 An awesome read Gerry. As a South African I am already reminded of what I take for granted while others travel the world for and that's amazing. A great review by the way. It is also true those Zulu words do mean a lot in South Africa " Ubuntu " which is unity and coming together for a common good. I'm glad you enjoyed the read . I might as well grab myself a copy too
This means a lot coming from you, Charmaine, being a South African. I hope the author reads this review along with your commentary. Thank you. :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

It seems like a delightful children's book! It offers an immersive introduction to South African animals, culture, and language. I think it's an excellent choice for parents looking to broaden their children’s horizons and celebrate South African heritage. Great review!
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

There is a lot of diversity inside Africa. However, we tend to think of Africa as a giant nation and all the countries as its little states. Most cannot even name 10 nations inside Africa. I am glad that such books are being written.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The elderly Gentleman's Ulyssee by Hans Bodmer

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Although I am not South African but rather East African, it would be interesting to know that my children or even I myself know a little but if Zulu. I know most of the South African animals because They are already in East Africa. Thus review isbreally interesting.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Deceitful Reflection by Jessica Tepper

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I'm intrigued by this book and would love to read it. I'm interested in learning about South African flora, fauna, and culture. I appreciate that the author included pronunciations for the Zulu words.
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Aleena Augustine »

This book seems interesting! I love how it combines education about South African culture, animals, and language with beautiful artwork and a captivating story. It seems like a great way to introduce children to a diverse culture and broaden their horizons.

Return to “Children's Books”