Featured Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Post by NL Hartje »

This book totally gets an A for effort and adorability! I love that Sigfried rattles off item after item affronting his smell sensors. The author paints him as such a true child. Even after he settles on the source of the smell (spoiler, it’s the socks) readers find him doubling back to his endless list of other smells still bothering him!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Most of the children go through the phase where they are curious about disgusting things. The title does make our nose cringe unknowingly. Thanks for the review.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

Thank you for a great review! I think there are challenges in reviewing kids’ books, in that there just isn’t as much material to discuss, but you did a nice job of describing the illustrations and text.
ASHMILLER002
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ASHMILLER002 »

The images in this book and the layout on the pages definitely brings attention. The smelly possibilities are definitely topics that children would be interested in digging into, as well. I could see my nephews getting a laugh out of this.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This children’s book sounds like a fun, funny, colorful read with it’s rhyming words and colorful illustrations. Finding humor in gross things was always among my kids favorite pastimes. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Eternal Hero by William Grace
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Vivid gross images and rhymes? I think this could really catch kids' eyes and appeal to their sense of humour - maybe some adults' too.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

What a fun book! I definitely think my nephew would find this hilarious! And, even though you mention some may find this gross or disgusting, maybe it could be a lead-in for a discussion about ways to never have this happen to them (or their house/car/backpack/etc). Thank you for your review! I already own this book, but forgot about it, so this was a pleasant surprise! :-)
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I have a 5-year-old and this is definitely a book he would enjoy. The illustrations look wonderful! Congrats on book of the day! Great review!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

A good book for children. This will make them laugh. I noted that everything smells, probably except for the author and his writing.
The last part is the solution. Quite funny too.

Well, as for the gross images that you have pointed out, reader discretion is allowed as from this review, readers have already been informed.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Damorela00
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 128

Post by Damorela00 »

In this book, Sigfried, a young boy is desperately trying to figure out and know why his book smells so much!😂 Sounds like its gonna be a grossly funny book, perfect for any kid or young adult who likes gross stuffs too! Got my free copy & My nieces loved it when they read it!
Not my type of read anyways
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Amazing illustrated children's picture book that I loved reading and I rated 3 out of 4 stars. The onlinebook.org review of this book was written masterfully and represented the book perfectly.
simplegesan
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by simplegesan »

Sigfried's Smelly Socks

A children/s use to hide socks after they use or losing pair of it.Like my kids used to hide there socks after school,when I found it it's too smelly.
When it's smell flew we used to say there something' animals dead.After we find out it's just socks.
For me the book has a lesson too, to not hide the socks after using it beause after in few days its really makes a badly smelly..
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I read this book to see if it would be appropriate for my daughter, and found it very funny. I enjoyed the rhyming and the twist at the very end :):)
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

8) Very well written review. I feel I know everything I need to know about the book. Your review makes me want to read the book even though I am not around young children anymore. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Just looking at the cover makes me think that I would have loved this book as a child, and would definitely look into getting it for a niece or nephew. Add to that the humor of the main character trying to get to the bottom of his bad smell problem, it seems like the perfect equation to entertain kids!

Return to “Children's Books”