Official Review: You & Me & Allergies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: You & Me & Allergies

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You & Me & Allergies" by Shelly Orloff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the children’s illustrated book, You & Me & Allergies by Shelly Orloff, food allergies and environmental sensitivities are the focus of the read.

Young Jena has an issue that she has been dealing with for quite some time, and it causes her some frustration. She has celiac disease, and therefore cannot eat products that contain gluten. When she does, it truly upsets her stomach and causes her pain. It is only when she realizes that some of her classmates also have allergies and/or sensitivities that Jena begins to understand that she is not alone.

In any children’s book, the illustrations are the parts of the novel that is first looked at. A colorful, inviting set of pictures can affect whether children become interested in a story. I’m happy to say that the illustrations in You & Me & Allergies are very bright and inviting for the younger crowd. The expressions of each character can easily bring excitement to reading and becomes a central part of the story.

Throughout the book, the author mentions a number of allergies and/or medical issues that different characters experience. From using an EpiPen for a bee sting to utilizing an inhaler to having specific food allergies, children are introduced to a plethora of conditions that people face today. On the one hand, I thought it was great the author spoke about juvenile diabetes, celiac disease, and even mentions Crohn's disease. On the other hand, I wonder if mentioning so many conditions would be overwhelming for children as they read.

Themes of understanding, allergies, being sensitive to others’ needs, and finding positivity definitely fill the pages of You & Me & Allergies. The theme of helping each other is slightly brushed upon. Aside from Jena giving kisses to those who shared their allergies or medical conditions in her class, it wasn’t clear how others can help out. Perhaps the fact that she approaches them with a kiss is being helpful enough as she demonstrates her support.

Though I do feel there may be a bit too much information for children to process, the idea of having a story that highlights the struggles some people face is a very worthwhile read. Due to this and its bright illustrations, I give You & Me & Allergies a four out of four stars. Children from early to late elementary school would benefit and enjoy this illustrated read.

You & Me & Allergies
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This book sounds like an interesting book for children. The fact that it has very colorful illustrations make it more appreciable for the reader. Great review.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a great book for children. I like that children can learn something from it. The cover of the book is adorable, and I believe it will catch the eyes of little kids. Thanks for a great review.
Cheronomercy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cheronomercy »

This book seems to be a good one and it give illustration drawing children attention.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Kids can learn a lot from this book. I wish to read this someday. It’s quite informative. Thanks for your wonderful review!
streetsolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-streetsolo.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by streetsolo »

This is a really good book. I have celiac disease and I grew up in a time where food allergies weren't really talked about. I think that children's books are an amazing way to help children understand that other children are different from them in one way or another, and the colorful illustrations are a great way to help capture their attention.
"Your progress flows from where your focus goes."
-Sydney Cummings
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

This is definitely a good read. Dealing with allergies can be frustrating especially for Children. It is good for kids to know they are not alone in this. Great review.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

This book is such an important step to normalizing allergies for children. Often children can cope much better if they know others go through similar things and they aren't alone. What a great book for children with allergies who often struggle and feel alienated by how they are 'different' than others. I am going to purchase and add to my private practice library.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

As an adult, I have see many conditions listed in the book that I never heard of before. I understand that there maybe some information overload, but its nice to see books introducing little kids to health related issues. Thank you for this great review.

Return to “Children's Books”