Official Review: Looice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Looice

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looice" by Ben Goldstein and Phillip Namanworth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looice by Ben Goldstein and Phillip Namanworth is a whimsical picture book for kids. Looice (pronounced “Lewis”) is a representation of the kid in all of us. The book follows his day at the beach, where he tries to drink the tide, plant peanuts in the sand, and put sunglasses on moles.

I enjoyed the simple whimsy of this colorful children’s book. The illustrations and lettering contribute to the playful nature of the story, as they look like line drawings with colors painted inside. The pictures resemble elevated children’s paintings, and the words are incorporated into the story using a similar style.

Although the actual plot of the book is very simple, just following Looice’s day at the beach, the overall product feels professional and thought-out. I think children would enjoy the daydream-like quality that Looice’s adventures have. He isn’t represented as a child or an adult, although he does have a full beard. Instead, he’s meant to be a character that is, first and foremost, young at heart.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book even though it doesn’t have a complex plot. The illustrations and story work together to create a whimsical world representative of the imagination we all have. In addition, I didn’t find any errors in the book, which added to the sense of professionalism I got from it.

I would recommend this book to parents of children ages three to seven. For young kids, this would be a good, short book to read aloud. Beginning readers should be able to tackle this book with a little help from their parents. While older kids might prefer a more complex story, I expect Looice to charm both young children and their parents as they follow him during his day at the beach.

Looice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NASRUNA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by NASRUNA »

I absolutely adore children's books and this glowing review made me add this to my shelf. Thank you for the endorsement.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

This sounds like a thoroughly charming book. I particularly like how the illustrations worked so well with the text. Thanks for your review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Illustrations tend to be the most important part of children's book, given their attention span. This one seems like a good one. Do you think it would be a good idea to use it to teach kids how to read?
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like a very fun and delightful book. Thanks for the great review!
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Thanks for the insightful review. If you recommend this book to children aged three to seven, it might be a good bed-time story or a book that kids could use in school while learning how to read and write.
Cheers
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

These type of books always put you in a nice mood. Thanks for your review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a unique inspirational children's book highlighting a surprising, magical, fun filled day at the beach with the joyous child in all of us. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats
@WorldPatrolKids
on the BOTD.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sometimes the stories need not be so complicated to spark our imaginations, make us smile, and, in the case of children, start planting a love for reading. And I love me a little whimsy!
Thank you!
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

This book sounds great. Simplistic but still fun. Sometimes illustrations that are too simplistic are little bit of a frustration to me being an artist. However, based on what I saw of the cover, it seems like the illustrations are still fun and thought out. This one seems like it has an adventurous but still simple storyline, which is how a children's book should be. I will definitely check this one out.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

After reading this book, many children may want to spend the day at a beach where they can play in the sand. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Looice's somewhat silly actions are most likely what kids like to do—exploring the world in their own way.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I found this to be a really fun, colorful and imaginative book. Suitable for young children to stir their imagination. The lettering and images were hilarious and cute. Thanks for a good review on this book.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Sounds like a fun read with beautiful illustrations portraying the story. Children would find this book enjoyable as they follow Looice adventure on the beach. Thanks for the review. Congrats on the BOTD
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This seems to be a fun read. I’m sure kids will enjoy this. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Children's Books”