Official Review: The Sheep Who Was Afraid of Her Own Refl...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Official Review: The Sheep Who Was Afraid of Her Own Refl...

Post by leiabutler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sheep Who Was Afraid of Her Own Reflection" by Arthur W Treloar.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sheep Who Was Afraid of Her Own Reflection is a light-hearted and comedic read about a little dog called Drifter who has the responsibility of looking after Rosie's herd of sheep. Drifter has to try and keep Rosie happy by keeping the sheep calm and out of trouble. But is that easier said than done?

Overall this story is a great read. The part of the novel I felt was most successful was Drifter's realistic and relatable personality and the simple and loving message in the plot. Arthur W Treloar does so well to give Drifter's character such a funny tone and personality. He is self-aware, and he is very intelligent. I love his character presentation, but equally, I love his development as a character towards the end when the true extent of his big heart is revealed.

This story is classed as a children's book and based on the beautiful, colourful and engaging images that appear very frequently, and the simple messages in the story, I would have said the novel is aimed at younger children around the 5-7 age group. However, the vocabulary in the story is much more advanced with words like 'gesticulating' and 'disconsolate' that I would expect to see in books for children 11+. However, if the story is meant for older readers, as suggested by this language and the long paragraph lengths in the first page, then the story is much too short and simple for that audience. My main criticism of the novel is I don't think it is aware of who it is aimed towards. I think by adding more text and developing the story a little more, this novel would be perfect for older children because the language is quite academic and they could learn a lot about sheep. Equally, by reducing those advanced words and separating the text into smaller paragraphs, this book would be perfect for most younger children. I personally would suggest this book apt for children in the age bracket of 9-12, (depending on the child and their mental development) however I think the novel's writing and stylistic choices could have been better tailored to a specific age group. This small tweaking would have significantly enhanced the book.

After reading, I also wondered if the title is a little confusing. If I was a parent picking the book up, I might assume it was based on a story of self-reflection which aimed to promote messages of self-love and would have expected the story to revolve wholly around Masie. However, the story actually revolves around Drifter, and I wonder if the novel could have had a title that better introduced the fun aspects of Drifter's personality.

The story is a fun read, and I particularly like some of the interactive activities such as the 'spot the mistake' activity on the first page. I think lots of children would enjoy this book and it would be a good bedtime book. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is a good book in terms of the content and illustrations. However, I'm taking a few points off based on the fact I don't think it particularly fits a particular age group very well and would need tweaking for me to give it a three or four-star rating.

The Sheep Who Was Afraid of Her Own Reflection
View: on Bookshelves
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I just love children stories. This sounds interesting too. I'm sure the author will do better with your awesome review. Thanks.
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This sounds like an interesting story with a good plot. However, there seems to be a disconnect between elements in the book and what age group it's appropriate for.
Thanks for the review!
jp_23snatch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jp_23snatch »

I will eally make you think, but overall it is a childrens story but most likely it need more basic way to approach readers to like it.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

The idea of the book sounds interesting and enjoyable, but it's a pity that the vocabulary doesn't suit the audience. Thanks for the great review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The title and cover page are indeed misleading, I thought the book was going to be about a cowardly sheep (if there's a thing like that,) and it turns out to be about a dog. Well, I still think the storyline is interesting.
Live and let live, baby.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I liked the story from your review, but yes I think the title does not really fit. I hope your suggestions are taken into consideration by the author, as the book really looks interesting. Great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Children's Books”