Official Review: Adventures of Lexi and Bug by Dawn Jean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Adventures of Lexi and Bug by Dawn Jean

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adventures of Lexi and Bug" by Dawn Jean.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adventures of Lexi and Bug: The First Adventure by Dawn Jean is a children’s picture book about how friends can help us solve our problems. Bug is a lightning bug who can’t seem to make himself glow, even though all of the other lightning bugs have no trouble glowing. He is feeling left out from his family and friends when he happens upon Lexi, a fairy who has lost her ability to fly due to an injury. Together, Bug and Lexi learn that some problems just require the help of a good friend.

I enjoyed the way this book taught a unique message. In life, we are often encouraged to solve our own problems, but this story shows that there’s nothing wrong with asking for help. In addition, it teaches kids that sometimes they can create solutions to others’ problems as well. I think it’s important for children to understand that they don’t have to do everything on their own, and Bug and Lexi demonstrate that well.

Although I enjoyed the lesson, I think that the plot of the book could use some improvements. I found the progression of the plot to be very predictable with no real surprises along the way. In addition, the ending of the book wasn’t really exciting, and it didn’t inspire me to look for the next one in the series. I think the author could have been more specific about what the future holds for Lexi and Bug.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the message and cute characters, and the book appeared to be professionally edited. However, I removed a star because the story and ending could have been more interesting.

I would recommend this book to parents of children ages six to nine, depending on their reading level. If you kid needs some encouragement to ask for help, this could be a good pick for them.

Adventures of Lexi and Bug
View: on Bookshelves
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith

Post by khaulah »

I like the message it conveys. Hope the author takes note of the things you pointed out. Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I like how Bug and Lexi convey to kids the importance of friendship through this book. I look forward to sharing it with the little ones.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

It does seem a beautiful read for children. They would definitely need to learn that to succeed in life, we must have people we can truly lean on.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This sounds like a wonderful read for children. I love the lesson that the book teaches, that it is ok to ask for help and help others. Children will truly benefit from this book. Great job on your review!
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

At least it had a good lesson to know at heart. A shame it wasn't exciting enough to make it perfect. Thanks for your review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You make insightful comments about the plot. Readers want to be drawn in and be surprised by the way the story unfolds. That is especially critical at this stage to build the love of reading in children. I enjoyed your review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

The lesson to be learned is really worthwhile. It is a pity that it is so predictable. Any how I hope that the next books in the series are much better. Thanks for the review!
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

Nothing is a greater lesson to kids than helping others and accepting help is okay. I'm not too bothered by the predictability; some kids like being able to guess!
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

That's such a beautiful message. Probably one most adults should learn as well. Thanks for the review!
Ane05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ane05 »

These type of books are important for children’s development and I am pleased to see that people are taking action.
nageena_rasheed
Currently Reading: The Talking Baobab Tree
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by nageena_rasheed »

Kids learn through action and illustrations. This book carries a good message that we should not be left behind to think about our shortcomings all alone. We should make good friends who can help us and understand us in difficult times. A nice book for young ones.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

One animal has what the other one lacks, quite a funny scene to imagine. Trust is what children need to learn and this book will surely bring them closer to understanding this one important concept of life.

Return to “Children's Books”