Official Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beans...Finding My Way Home" by Debi Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beans...Finding My Way Home is a children's book written by Debi Brown and illustrated by Katherine Kapsalis.

Beans is a cute, spotted dog. It is Saturday morning, and Beans is looking forward to going to the pet store with his owner, who is referred to as Mommy. What starts out as a seemingly perfect day takes an unfortunate turn when Beans becomes lost and, as the title informs us, must find his way home.

This story is written in third person from Bean's perspective. The book opens with the narrator informing the reader that Beans is excited. Throughout the tale, we are told how Beans is feeling and even what he is directly thinking. Particularly when Beans is lost, his thoughts appear in quotation marks. Beans smiles, predicts future events based on past experience, and has a favorite color. He is a canine character who is fully aware and the author does a fantastic job of making him real and personal to the reader. This was my favorite aspect of the book.

When I was considering reviewing this book, I found the cover of the book off-putting. It was a hand-drawn picture appearing to have been colored with crayons and/or colored pencils. There was nothing professional about it. Upon further investigation, I learned that the book was illustrated by the author's niece who was 11 years old at the time. This made more sense, but I was still hesitant. However, when I started reading, reaching page 3 was a turning point for me. As they are walking, Beans looks back at his owner with an expression of genuine affection that warmed my heart. Each page features an illustration with a few sentences underneath that match the picture.

In terms of the storyline, I almost forgot the supposed need for conflict in order to have a plot because I was so absorbed in the sweet and innocent world that the author, through the character Beans, was inviting the reader into. The only criticism I have in this regard is that the way in which Beans becomes lost seemed a bit contrived. That was my least favorite part of the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I took off a star because I found that the scene in which Beans gets lost was forced and unconvincing. Besides that, this book was a fun journey that packed a lot of heart into a short amount of space. I would recommend this book to dog lovers of any age. If you're strictly into cats, then move right along.

Beans...Finding My Way Home
View: on Bookshelves
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I love children's books. It's like a comic relief for when I need to ease off steam. I hope Beans finds its way back home.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an adorable book; I think my 5-year-old would like this as he loves anything to do with animals. I like that young readers know exactly the way Beans is feeling by the pictures and his thoughts. Hopefully, he is reunited with his owner!
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

You found the scene in which Beans got lost unconvincing? That could be a worry. The book sounds good nonetheless. Thanks for this review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This seems adorable. It sounds like the author did a great job of communicating emotion and how to use life experience in a crisis situation through Beans' actions and expressions. I may pick up a copy for my grandson! Thanks for the review!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Canine characters so often steal hearts, and it sounds like Beans is one worth holding onto! Thank you for your insightful review of this affectionate dog “tail” of misadventure.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I'm not a dog lover but all the same, I'll still read the book to help me relate with kids especially during story time. Good review.
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

I remember when i am children, i like many books with animals , color and nice illustration. Beans is the most attractive and agreable pictures for children. The best things for kids to understand the book is by colors, illustrations and big words.

Return to “Children's Books”