Official Review: A Halloween Dream by Michael Craig

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: A Halloween Dream by Michael Craig

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Halloween Dream" by Michael Craig.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Halloween Dream is a children's book written and illustrated by Michael Lee Craig.

This book is about a boy who thinks that a witch lives down the street from him. He recounts all the telltale signs, from the way her house looks, to her supposed witch-like appearance, to the activities she must engage in as a witch. Since it is Halloween, he is determined to see for himself if the rumors are true.

The illustrations of the book were done by the author, and while fine for showing to people he personally knows, they lack the professional quality of a regular store-bought book. I still enjoyed the book, but this is something to keep in mind if you're considering buying it, especially as a gift. It is a self-made book that isn't trying to fool anybody to think otherwise.

My favorite aspect of the book was that the lines on each page rhymed in a way that had me, as a reader, anticipating the satisfaction of the rhyme in each sentence. I think this would be fun for kids as well.

My least favorite aspect of the book was that, in my opinion, it lacked originality. While the framing device is a boy who wants to find out if his neighbor down the street is really a witch, I almost forgot about that part of the narrative during the majority of the book, which mostly focuses on listing the typical characteristics of a witch. While young readers probably won't find any problem with that, especially with the fun rhymes, I wanted something more clever and out of the box to really make this book stand out. As it is, I think the plot is easily forgettable. The ending in particular, with its lack of resolve, left me very disappointed. This book had potential and I think its target audience of 3-7 year olds will surely enjoy it, but to me it didn't push the envelope in any memorable way.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. As mentioned, I enjoyed the rhymes and the illustrations didn't bother me, but I wouldn't personally recommend it due to its lack of originality and disappointing ending. However, young children whose imaginations are still being formed would likely enjoy learning about witch lore during the Halloween season. If your family doesn't celebrate Halloween, then this book isn't for you.

A Halloween Dream
View: on Bookshelves
Arun Bohra
Currently Reading: Paddle to Paddle
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arun-bohra.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Arun Bohra »

After reading the review I want to know the ending of the book. I am going to buy this book.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Despite the errors, I think kids will enjoy reading it. Great review.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Okay so you based on your review I decided to give this book a pass. Thanks for the review.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Even though the book lacks originality, the rhymes embedded in the story can be a fun read for kids. Nice review.
nageena_rasheed
Currently Reading: The Talking Baobab Tree
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by nageena_rasheed »

When i was a kid, i loved to hear about magic and witches. This book is a good fantasy read for thoughful children but for those kids who take stories rationally it is not good. Anyways personally i still like such stories that have pictorial and personalised touch.

Return to “Children's Books”