Official Review: 25 Days of Roses by Mellanie Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kae_mad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: 25 Days of Roses by Mellanie Brown

Post by kae_mad »

This book would have been a heartwarming story about a child's bond with his mother. Its a shame that the author had to add a heavy circumstance that can take away the warm message the story is supposed to give.

I do agree with you that bringing death would be heavy especially for a children's book and with no illustrations, target audiences might lose interest in reading the story.
Thank you for the detailed and excellent review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

kae_mad wrote: 31 May 2020, 02:32 This book would have been a heartwarming story about a child's bond with his mother. Its a shame that the author had to add a heavy circumstance that can take away the warm message the story is supposed to give.

I do agree with you that bringing death would be heavy especially for a children's book and with no illustrations, target audiences might lose interest in reading the story.
Thank you for the detailed and excellent review!
The readers in the target audience would definitely identify more with Marcus if the book had a few illustrations. I personally would have liked seeing him with his best friend, his grandmother, his dad, and of course his mom! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I was really looking forward to reading this book about the adventures of the young boy's quest to buy his mother a gift. It's too bad that the turn of events were sudden and abrupt. I wish it ended with good news, the boy finally succeeding since its a children's book. Thanks for review!
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Alice Ngugi wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 23:11 I was really looking forward to reading this book about the adventures of the young boy's quest to buy his mother a gift. It's too bad that the turn of events were sudden and abrupt. I wish it ended with good news, the boy finally succeeding since its a children's book. Thanks for review!
I can’t say for sure, but the story might still end with good news... :no-spoil:
Thank you for your visit!
Rosa Parks
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

This seems to be a poorly executed book, and I concur that some thematic concerns are beyond the levels of the target audience.
Thank you for your honest review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 23:57 This seems to be a poorly executed book, and I concur that some thematic concerns are beyond the levels of the target audience.
Thank you for your honest review.
I looked forward to reading this book, but it does need some additional work. The main storyline is great for the target audience, and I hope the author gives it another round of editing. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It seems this book needs to have some work done before it is ready to be published. I hope the author takes your criticism constructively. I agree that throwing in the grandfather's death at the last minute could be upsetting for a child. Thanks for an honest and well-written review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

An abrupt narrative and a lack of illustrations in a children's book are big flaws, even in spite of such a promising premise. Thank you very much for this honest and insightful review! :)
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Prisallen wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 07:58 It seems this book needs to have some work done before it is ready to be published. I hope the author takes your criticism constructively. I agree that throwing in the grandfather's death at the last minute could be upsetting for a child. Thanks for an honest and well-written review!
Yes, I was really caught off guard by the abruptness as well as the circumstances of the grandfather’s death. Sadly, it’s not that the situation was unrealistic, it was just unexpected. With another round of editing and a few illustrations, this could be a delightful book. Thanks for your visit!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ellylion wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 15:40 An abrupt narrative and a lack of illustrations in a children's book are big flaws, even in spite of such a promising premise. Thank you very much for this honest and insightful review! :)
It is amazing how much illustrations add to a children book. Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your visit.
Rosa Parks
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the lesson in creativity and love the book teaches kids. Nice review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Slater678 wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 05:50 I like the lesson in creativity and love the book teaches kids. Nice review.
Marcus is an adorable, determined boy, and that is what makes this story so special. I hope there is an updated edition of this book available soon! Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Whilst I like the premise, the drawbacks - especially the logical errors - are something that I would struggle to ignore. Thank you for such an informative and fair review! :)
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

LinaJan wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 07:26 Whilst I like the premise, the drawbacks - especially the logical errors - are something that I would struggle to ignore. Thank you for such an informative and fair review! :)
There were a few scenes that would benefit from a content editor. The core story is worth the additional round of editing this book requires. Thanks much for your visit and your comment!
Rosa Parks
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

It's a shame that the book did not turn out to be great, as the premise was very interesting. Thank you for your excellent review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Children's Books”