Official Review: Henge by Laurence Tysoe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Official Review: Henge by Laurence Tysoe

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Henge" by Laurence Tysoe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henge, written by Laurence Tysoe, is a children’s book that follows the life of a little boy, Henge, who stumbles upon an abandoned egg in a cave. He then carries the egg home and watches over it. After it hatches, he is amazed to find a strange-looking monster.

This monster has a large body, long neck, big head, and long ears. Oh, it is a sight to behold. Henge wants to keep his little creature a secret, but it grows too big and his townsfolk begin to take notice. They become terrified of it and plan to scare the creature away. But will they succeed? You have to read the book to find out.

All in all, I had a lot of fun reading Henge. The storyline was simple, but it was able to hold my attention throughout the book. There were also some pleasant surprises along the way. Further, I believe children will thoroughly enjoy reading Henge, as the language used was simple and descriptive. Moreover, every scene described in words had an accompanying illustration, which is perfect for kids.

Furthermore, the illustrations were colorful and engaging, and some of them made me laugh. Indeed, Henge was written to entertain kids. The inclusion of a monster in the book is even a boon because kids love a good monster story. I can imagine them making a big fuss about the strange-looking monster and telling their friends about it.

Considering the aforementioned points, I rate Henge 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and there was nothing to dislike about it. I believe it was exceptionally edited, as I found no errors in it. I would recommend it to kids between the ages of four and eight. Also, parents should read this book out loud to preschoolers.

Henge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a really cute book that children would love! The cover is cute, so if that's indicative of the illustrations, I can see how kids would enjoy them. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

This children's book sounds like it would be really fun to read with kids. The illustration on the cover is adorable, and it sounds like it would certainly be a fun adventure for its readers, especially thanks to the monster. Thank you for your review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I do hope Henge can save his monster friend. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
alizap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alizap »

This sounds like a fantastic children’s book! I think the topic will really keep kids engaged and interested in the character Henge and his little monster friend since it sounds very suspenseful. I also love the depiction of the monster he seems like a sweet not “scary” monster so the kids will feel compassion towards it:)
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

What a fun story for young kids! I'm glad you liked it so much. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This looks like a really delightful children's story and I enjoyed your review.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I think that most children would be fascinated with the premise of this book. Great review!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Thanks for sharing your great review. The story will fascinate children as they read it.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

People are always scared of the unknown and they will always try to get rid of something that they are scared of. I appreciate the colorful illustrations as they will keep children engaged and interested. Your review is such a fun read. Thank you, Elvis Best!
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

Awesome review and quite an interesting plot. You are right the children will find the story fascinating. I did too. I hope that strange creature doesn't turn out to be what I think it is.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Nice storyline. Thanks for a clear review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds absolutely adorable. I like that their is a picture for every page; it means that even very young children can enjoy the book and follow the story even if they can't read yet. I'll have to look at this one for my grandson! I enjoyed reading your review. It hit every point needed for the book!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Todd Robbins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Todd Robbins »

My daughter and I greatly enjoyed reading “Henge” together! It was beautifully written and easily for her to understand and follow. We just loved how it framed the historical monument of Stonehenge around an enjoyable story to share. The illustrations were great too! We’ve always enjoyed Laurence Tysoe’s children’s books and are already eager for his next one. Highly recommend!

Return to “Children's Books”