Official Review: Auntie I Don’t Want You To Get Mar...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Auntie I Don’t Want You To Get Mar...

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Auntie I Don’t Want You To Get Married" by Clarence Coggins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Auntie I Don’t Want You To Get Married is a children’s illustrated book written by Clarence Coggins. The story is centered around a young girl, named Danielle, who travels to Guyana for the first time to visit her Aunt Julia.

After traveling from New York, Danielle has been spending a couple of days with her Aunt Julia at her home in Guyana. As Julia and Danielle are washing dishes, Julia notices something amiss with Danielle. After asking her what was wrong, Danielle denies that anything is wrong. After a few minutes of questioning, Julia blurts out, “Auntie, I don’t want you to get married to Uncle!” Julia is confused because it seemed like they were having a great time visiting different places around Guyana. When Julia finally gets Danielle to say why she doesn’t want her to marry Uncle, she is in for a surprise.

Filled with bright and colorful illustrations, this book is an engaging and interesting read for younger readers. The illustrations seem to be hand-drawn, and they are a great addition to the text. The text is simple enough for children who are learning how to read. Only about 36 pages long, this book is great for opening up a discussion on how to deal with big, scary changes in life.

What I liked the most about this book were the sections where it talked about Danielle’s visits to various places in Guyana. Some of the places she visited includes the Georgetown Botanical Gardens, the Essequibo River, and the market near Robb Street. I liked this part of the book because it gave me a glimpse of what Guyana is like. I have not heard of it until I read this book.

Overall, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed flipping through the pages and looking at the colorful illustrations. There was only one grammatical error that I noticed, but other than that the book was well edited. I recommend this book to children from ages 7-11 who like reading about adventures.

Auntie I Don’t Want You To Get Married
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

When Julia finally gets Danielle to say why she doesn’t want her to marry Uncle, she is in for a surprise.
Oh, you left me on the hook there. I definitely want to know what the surprise is. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I can't help but wonder what the little girl had to say to her aunt.
Interesting review.
Live and let live, baby.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

It is recommended for kids. But I think I can go for this one.
Unique book and a great review.
zywhite16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zywhite16 »

Danielle is a young girl who travels from New York City to Georgetown Guyana to visit family for the first time. When she gets there she has all types of adventures. This is the tale of when her Auntie Julia is trying to find out why Danielle doesn't want her to get married.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I really am curious about why Danielle doesn't want her Aunty Julia to get married. I will consider reading the book. Thanks for this review!
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Life is full of big, scary changes, and these can sometimes be difficult for children to handle. This seems like a good story to help with that, and especially to initiate the conversation when a child needs to talk about how they feel. Thanks for the warm and honest review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Why would Julia not want her aunt to get married to Uncle? I really want to find out. Nice review by the way.
Brock10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brock10 »

Anxious to read why Danielle doesn’t want her Aunt to marry Uncle!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Interesting story. Aside from Danielle's reason for not wanting her aunt to get married, I am also curious how Aunt Julia responded to her niece.

Books like these are helpful for adults to see things from a child's perspective. As adults, we can appropriately respond to the concerns of children if we can relate to how they view the things around them. I hope we have more books like this.

It's so nice that you came across this book and for writing a good review.

Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Sometimes, it seems a bit difficult to understand the message a child is trying to pass across, but i think this book will be of great help to parents and adult.
Thanks for the review, though am also curious about Aunt Julia reaction.

Return to “Children's Books”