Official Review: Sally Goes To School by Sharon Courneya

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
angela roura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-roura.html
Latest Review: The Tempter's Bane by Kyle McCurry

Official Review: Sally Goes To School by Sharon Courneya

Post by angela roura »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sally Goes To School" by Sharon Courneya.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sally Goes to School is a book for children written by Sharon Courneya. In this book, Sally is excited to be starting at a new school. She even asks her mom to wake her up early! Despite her excitement, she does not have a good first few days of school. She is faced with challenges, both internal and external, which she must overcome. These struggles include anything from spilling her milk to forgetting her homework.

My favorite part of the book is the lessons that this book teaches. It teaches perseverance. Sally has many bad days at school. But, she pushes through and keeps trying. It teaches kindness and true friendship. Sally learns how to treat both friends and strangers. It also teaches honesty. Sally knows that she must always tell the truth. This is just a sampling of the many lessons that are taught throughout this book.

Although the book teaches many wonderful lessons, it is not perfect. The lack of professional editing is my least favorite part of this book. I found multiple typos on every page, which clearly could have been caught by a second proofread. Also, this book lacks any sort of visual aspect, a necessity in books for children. It doesn’t just lack pictures. It lacks paragraph breaks which make the format quite unattractive.

Because of the many typos, I can only give this book 1 out of 4 stars. With another round of editing, this book could score higher.

If this book is professionally edited, I do believe it would make a wonderful book for young children. Sadly until then, I do not recommend it to others. However, this book is completely appropriate for children. So, if you are drawn to the positive lesson that it teaches, go ahead and read!

Sally Goes To School
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Oh, I do enjoy reading children's books, and so I am really disappointed with the challenges of this book. I hope the author can revise the book and make it more appealing for kids. Thanks for your honest review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Quite a throwback, reminds me about the nostalgia that comes with becoming a newcomer in school. I hope some professional editing will do the magic.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

With the book title, i thought it would be a good story for kids starting a new school. I hope the author revises the book soon. Nice review.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Poor from the author side.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I hope the author can work on the editing so that the book can have better ratings. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

So sad the it still needs a lot of work. However, I do like the lessons that you gleaned from the book. Thanks for this review.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Thanks for the honest review. It's easy to overlook the imperfections. However, if there is too much of them it makes the flow of the book very distracting. For my child if the book doesn't have colourful pictures then good luck getting through a page.
Aaliyah24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Aaliyah24 »

Great title really draws me to the book. However the content needs to be revised and made more adaptable to the small children struggle that is more emotionally backed up . :x :hand: :eusa-naughty:
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What a great premise for a children’s book. I agree that illustrations are a must for this age group. I love pictures in any book! :D I hope the author makes the changes suggested. Thank you for your honest and thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Children's Books”