Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fumbani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by fumbani »

:lol: :lol: SandPeople” by Cheryl Kerr is a captivating coming-of-age story that weaves together history, mystery, and a touch of the supernatural. Let’s dive into the details:

Plot Summary: Lea McKinney faces an unexpected summer upheaval when her parents decide to separate. While her brother stays with their grandmother, Lea finds herself in Texas with an unfamiliar aunt. Leaving her best friend Laura behind in Virginia, Lea grapples with loneliness and the pain of family separation. How will she navigate spending the summer with a stranger?
Themes and Focus:
The novel doesn’t dwell on Lea’s parents’ relationship but instead centers on Lea’s personal growth during the summer.
Lea’s journey involves learning from mistakes and adapting to circumstances beyond her control.
Historical fiction elements are seamlessly woven into the narrative, adding depth and excitement.
Writing Style:
Cheryl Kerr’s writing effortlessly draws readers in.
Lea’s struggle with change beautifully portrays the transition from childhood to adulthood.
The unexpected twists of life are vividly captured.
Audience:
Suitable for upper middle-grade readers (ages eight to fourteen).
The book balances mystery, history, and relatable emotions.
In summary, “SandPeople” offers a poignant exploration of growth, acceptance, and unexpected connections. Kerr’s skillful storytelling ensures that readers of all ages will find themselves swept up in Lea’s journey
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 609
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I'm excited about this book. Books for the age group of 8 to about 14, I find to be rare but I could be wrong. However, this is something that would help my nephew at this moment, as he's dealing with the whole immigration process which can be quite hard for kids that age. Especially as his father has been in a new country for 5 months already. Thanks for an excellent review. Congrats on BOTD.
Rahul Singh 29
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "SandPeople" by Cheryl Kerr. This reminds me of a famous quote by Aristotle: Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. Lea sets out on a journey towards wisdom, slowly uncovering the different parts of her own personality and acquiring knowledge that molds her perception of the world. Congrats to the author, #BOTD! 
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
June Moon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-june-moon.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by June Moon »

SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr is not any usual book you may read about a female protagonist. It has packed so many emotions, whirlwind of realizations and an extreme journey of Lea McKinney, who is being subjected to one of the hardest things in life, her parents' divorce. Lea builds her own world and realises her true self with her unique experiences. This book will take your imagination to unbelievable height and grow with Lea.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 314
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

This sounds like a great coming of age story with Lea as the protagonist. Unfortunately, I'm not into this genre of books, so I'll skip this one.
Alida Spies
Currently Reading: Circle Of Pearls
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: The Time Cave - Spanish Main by Trevor Anderson
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Alida Spies »

It is never easy for children when their parents split up. That would make it even more difficult to leave friends and familiar surroundings to live with an aunt Lea hardly knows. Hopefully the adventures awaiting helps her to process all the changes. Thank you for the insightful review.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by MMcB »

In the midst of divorce, how are children able to handle the hurt and trauma? To find out how Laura and Lea handle the situations read “SandPeople" by Cheryl Kerr.
Thank you for the wonderful review!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Lea's world takes an unimaginable turn when her parents tell her that they will be separating and that she needs to stay with her aunt in Texas. Leaving Virginia behind, especially her friends, is hard, but having to do so while dealing with her parents separation might be impossible. What will Lea do?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3050
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

One of the best books I have read and reviewed in OBC is titled Corners, and the author talks primarily about the unexpected turns in life, which is what confronts young Lea. I am certain it must have been difficult to reconcile this abrupt separation and living with an aunt she barely knew. I have added the book to my shelf. Many thanks for the fascinating review.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sarvesh J Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarvesh-j-yadav.html
Latest Review: Exodus by Jean Hackensmith

Post by Sarvesh J Yadav »

This is a nicely written book so one can sincerely attraction to the YA target audience, but should without difficulty be read by means of older adults as properly, the story is that appealing. Congrats on #BOTD
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

Heartbreak is a loss. Divorce is a piece of paper.

Taylor Jenkins Reid, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

This book discusses topics that most adults walk on eggshells around with. While there is a great number of books on divorce from the perspective of the married vouple, it is rare to see one from theat of a child. I think it is a great book and should have the maximum exposure. I agree with the reviewer's perspective.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

As someone who also experienced parental separation during a crucial time in my life, I deeply resonated with Lea's emotional journey in SandPeople. Kerr's portrayal of her struggle with change and adaptation felt authentic and relatable, reminding me of my own challenges and eventual growth during such tumultuous times.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Post by Esther Deekor »

Parents make decisions that affect their kids and turn their lives in a whole new direction when things don't work out. But I wonder how the title Sand People fits into the plot. Anyway, congratulations on BOTD!!
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Just from reading the OBC official review, I know this is the book for me. This is one of those stories that I can see being adapted into a film because it has all the elements of a well-rounded story. I cannot wait to get this novel and read about Lea's life with this aunt she knows nothing about.
Anggara Rifandi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anggara Rifandi »

very good review, thank you to this writer, it's definitely not easy for Lea, who witnessed her parents having to divorce, it's not easy to face that situation, keep spirit Lea

Return to “Children's Books”