Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yahya Amir Anwer
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 6
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Yahya Amir Anwer »

The book looks like amazing and the review is nice. I appreciate how contemporary picture books, such as this one, influence our perceptions of ourselves and each other as we go through life's transitions. Many people, including myself, can identify with your portrayal of Lea because I also enjoy playing alone and using my imagination. The author decided to develop and concentrate on how her circumstances affected and transformed her rather than dwelling on messy family issues.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

There's a time for mental and emotional growth and adjustment. Lea's experience after the announcement by her parents is one experience every child needs, though not necessarily in a similar form. This is a book for young readers. Congrats on BOTD. Great review.
Amira M 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amira-m-1.html
Latest Review: The Beloved by Banks Hudson

Post by Amira M 1 »

Lea's story is quite relatable. Growing up entails so many difficult changes and uncomfortable situations and this book is perfect for early teens. I love the review. It beautifully captures the essence of the book and even though I'm not a teenager I would love to read it. It carries so many lessons for everyone.
Candy Hensley
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-candy-hensley.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 36
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Candy Hensley »

This review intrigues me to read SandPeople. I appreciate the thoroughness and attention to detail in describing the story telling and characters. I am interested to learn more about the ghost stories and how the different times connect together. Based on the review, I would recommend young adults to also check out the review and possibly read SandPeople.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

It's nice that the author talked about an important topic that many children go through. This book is useful to help them learn lessons on how to make do with any situation that life throws. In this instance, what to do when parents divorce. I love that the book also focuses on talking about activities that would interest any child such as horseback riding. It's not just a sad book but a book that helps children understand that sometimes life is out of our control but we need to adjust and make the best out of a situation by still participating in various childlike activities.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I loved the few sample pages I read, and it sounds like there's so much to look forward to (a bit of history, a sense of mystery, and a few ghost sightings). Lea's stay at her aunt's for the summer sure sounds interesting. Congrats on BOTD!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Abiodunakinola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This book beautifully captures the essence of a coming-of-age story, intertwining the challenges of growing up with elements of history and mystery. Lea's summer journey, coupled with the well-blended historical fiction, provides a compelling narrative that resonates with the complexities of adolescence. Nice review.
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

This insightful review of "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr highlights the book's strengths in portraying a relatable coming-of-age story with elements of history and mystery. The focus on Lea's transformation over the summer, rather than her parents' relationship, adds depth to the narrative and allows readers to empathize with her journey of self-discovery. The seamless integration of historical fiction into the plot adds an educational and engaging dimension to the story without sacrificing its appeal to young readers. The reviewer appreciates the author's ability to create vivid scenes that spark the imagination and capture the essence of a summer adventure. Overall, they found the book well-written, age-appropriate, and deserving of a high rating. It's a heartfelt recommendation for young readers navigating the complexities of growing up.
Luis Alvas
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luis-alvas.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Luis Alvas »

Great and informative review. SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery by Cheryl Kerr talks about Lea McKinney, which her plans for summer vacation are ruined because her parents are separating. Next, she is living with her distant aunt in Texas, far from her best friend Laura and her brother T.J.. The story combines historical fiction and mystery, Lea struggles with change and growth in her journey and realizing who she is with her personal experiences. About Kerr's writing, it conveys the essence of adolescence for a coming-to-age story about living through parents' divorce, relatable and familiar for readers.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

"Sandpeople" by Cheryl Kerr is a charming coming-of-age tale about a girl named Lea. Despite her family's situation, she undergoes a difficult transformation process that she handles impressively, meeting new people and exploring new places. However, even though Lea is courageous, I believe that the burden she carried was too heavy for a 12-year-old, even though she managed it well.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

This sounds like an interesting story. A coming-of-age, with a little history and ghost sighting sounds very exciting. I'm really curious on how Lea's story will conclude in the end. Thanks for the review.
Sargam Talreja
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sargam-talreja.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Sargam Talreja »

Follow Lea on an interesting journey of transformation amidst her parents' divorce in this compelling story. Filled with summer adventures, historical intrigue, and ghostly apparitions, each element weaves together to create an amazing read. Beautiful review.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

"SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" offers an engaging coming-of-age story with historical elements suitable for readers aged eight to fourteen. Kerr skillfully weaves in themes of growth, adjustment to change, and the curiosity of a summer adventure, creating an imaginative atmosphere that captivates the target audience.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

I can already feel for Lea McKinney as she grapples with the upheaval in her family and the uncertainty of spending the summer with someone she barely knows. 'SandPeople' seems like the perfect blend of relatable coming-of-age themes and gripping storytelling.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I appreciate how contemporary books for young readers, such as this one, influence our perception of ourselves and every child during significant life changes. The portrayal of Lea resonates with many, myself included, as I share a fondness for imaginative play and enjoy solitary activities. The author's decision to center the narrative on Lea's personal growth, rather than dwelling on familial challenges, is commendable.

Return to “Children's Books”