Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Re: Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting coming-of-age story about a young girl, Lea, who, due to family issues, is forced to spend summer at her aunt's house in Texas. Will Lea have an experience that she would not otherwise have? It looks to be worth a second look. Well done.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Lea's resilience in the face of familial turmoil resonated deeply with me, showcasing the strength children can find within themselves during challenging times. Kerr's skillful storytelling kept me engaged from start to finish, making it a standout read for all ages.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I'm probably not the target audience for this book. It seems very much directed at teenagers. It does sound like it has a positive story to tell to younger people about dealing with their parents' divorce.
Eddy246
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Eddy246 »

Your thoughtful and detailed review captures the essence of the story beautifully, and I truly appreciate your insights.

I'm thrilled to hear that you found the book well-written and engaging, with a blend of history, mystery, and coming-of-age themes that resonate with upper middle-grade readers. Your observation about the focus on Lea's personal growth over the summer, rather than solely on her parents' separation, is spot-on. I aimed to depict Lea's journey of self-discovery and resilience in the face of unexpected challenges, and I'm delighted that you found this aspect of the story meaningful.

I'm especially glad that you enjoyed the historical elements woven into the narrative and found them educational yet exciting. It was important to me to provide young readers with a glimpse into the past while keeping the story engaging and accessible. Your appreciation for the blend of imagination and reality in the scenes, from horseback riding to treasure hunting, means a lot to me as well.

Your feedback about the lack of age-inappropriate content and the relatable nature of Lea's character is invaluable. I'm thrilled that you found her transition and growth throughout the book compelling and believe that it will resonate with readers navigating their own journeys from childhood to adolescence.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Neha Panikar »

Beautiful review! Lea's story seems relatable as everyone has moments of helplessness in their lives, plus with a well-written narrative, the audience may not stay limited to a particular age group. The tough adolescent phase and Lea coming out as a matured person out of it, shows growth and hidden opportunities that are inspiring. Surely adding this book to my list!!
Devesh Patel
Currently Reading: Where Is Your Eternal Destiny? Heaven or Hell
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devesh-patel.html
Latest Review: Passion Struck by John R. Miles

Post by Devesh Patel »

"SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" offers a poignant, relatable tale of a young girl's summer of transformation amidst family separation. Cheryl Kerr skillfully intertwines historical fiction with a coming-of-age journey, making it a captivating read for young readers. Kerr's narrative is a testament to the resilience of youth and the power of change, providing a rich, imaginative escape with a dose of history. This well-edited, age-appropriate novel is a must-read for those navigating the challenges of growing up and finding one's place in the world.
MTharshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtharshi.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by MTharshi »

Thank you for your heartfelt and insightful review of "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery." Your eloquent exploration of Lea's journey through change and self-discovery beautifully captures the essence of the book's themes. Your appreciation for Cheryl Kerr's masterful storytelling, seamless blend of history and mystery, and relatable characters shines through, making your review a compelling recommendation for young readers seeking adventure and growth. Your words truly highlight the transformative power of literature to inspire and empower.
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Promiscuous Girl by Kelli Nicole

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

The review provided valuable insights. The plot appears unique, exploring the transition from childhood to adulthood. The book promises an intriguing read, delving into how one must prepare for or adapt to life's unexpected events. I'm eager to delve into the book and learn more about Lea's story.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery" by Cheryl Kerr follows Lea's summer with her estranged aunt in Texas, as her parents separate. Through historical fiction and mystery, Lea navigates growth and change, finding solace in adventure. Kerr's writing captures the essence of adolescence, making it a relatable and engaging read for young audiences. This is a very informative and honest review. Thank you.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by how Lea's parents' separation would affect her. I am intrigued by the ghost sightings within the story. I am interested in learning how Lea would cope with the pain, frustration, and separation from her family while spending the summer with her grandmother in Texas whom she barely know.
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

The compelling book "SandPeople" by Cheryl Kerr explores how resilient people can be when faced with hardship. The tale, which is set in a post-apocalyptic world with limited water supplies, follows a diverse cast of individuals as they make their way across the hostile desert terrain while resolving internal strife and threats from the outside world. Readers are drawn in and interested in the story from beginning to end by Kerr's colourful prose and complex world-building. For those who enjoy dystopian literature, "SandPeople" is a must-read because of its compelling topics and well-developed characters.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading: The Slippery Road.
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Lea McKinney's summer upheaval in "SandPeople" by Cheryl Kerr captivates with its blend of history, mystery, and coming-of-age struggles. Kerr skillfully portrays Lea's evolution amid family separation, offering a relatable narrative that resonates with middle-grade readers. The seamless incorporation of historical fiction adds depth to an already engaging storyline, making for a compelling read that effortlessly transports readers to the heart of Lea's journey.
sanjeev maurya
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Quantitative Research Made Easy by Claude Phiri

Post by sanjeev maurya »

Your review beautifully captures the essence of "SandPeople: An Across Time Mystery." The way you describe Lea's journey through change and growth is compelling, and it makes me excited to dive into the book myself. I particularly appreciate how you highlight the author's skill in blending historical fiction with a coming-of-age story, making it both educational and engaging. The various adventures Lea embarks on sound captivating, and I can imagine how they would spark the imagination of young readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book!
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

Most times, the impact of separation or divorce is mostly on the children of the marriage. Lea will really find it difficult to adjust to her new environment. Nice review!
Mahimil Chishti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahimil-chishti.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Mahimil Chishti »

Cheryl Kerr is the talented Texas author behind the mystery novel “SandPeople”, a good book that will captivate and enthrall you with each and every turn of the page. I loved the main character as well, Lea McKinney, a lovely 12-year-old girl. Lea's life has changed radically as her parents begin the process of divorce, and she ends up living far away from her childhood home. This upheaval however opens the door to other possibilities, and Lea learns a lot about herself along the way. While staying with her Aunt, Lea gets involved in the mystery of the sand people, a mystery that is in fact legend. A well put together book, strong plot, and realistic characters make this a recommended read.

Return to “Children's Books”