Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 607
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Official Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Black Indigo »

It will be interesting to find out how Lea's transition concludes. Thank you for the review.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

The impact of parents' divorce on children is profound, often leading to long-term challenges. Lea managed to navigate her parents' choices despite the difficulties, showcasing resilience. This exceptional tale intertwines a coming-of-age narrative with historical elements. Congratulations on being selected as #BOTD!
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 643
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @Cheryl Erickson, I just read your comments on the official review of "SandPeople" and I found the book to be sad due to the separation of the parents for the summer and Lea's going from Virginia to Texas to stay with her aunt that she hardly knows for the summer. Lea is a 12-year-old middle schooler and it had to be tough to leave her best friend behind and worry about her parents and her brother. Definitely a coming-of-age story that was very well-written and a good read for teens and adults. @Mrlefty0706
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: The Blackened Yonder by Justin R. Gibson
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 210%

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

When life gives you melons, make melon tarts from it. Reality is not as we expect it a lot of time, Lea finds these out and faces a lot of coming of age decisions and experiences. This is an interesting read and I would recommend it to teenagers and young adults
Sapna Mallah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sapna Mallah »

The Texas Coast is a place of shifting sands, supposed treasure, and the thrill of pirate legends. When twelve-year-old Lea McKinney comes to the tiny fishing village to spend the summer with her aunt, she is searching for a place of her own.
She encounters a mystery, a ghost, and new friends along the way.@Cheryl Erickson, I just read your comments on the official review of "SandPeople" and I found the book to be sad due to the separation of the parents for the summer and Lea's going from Virginia to Texas to stay with her aunt that she hardly knows for the summer. Lea is a 12-year-old middle schooler and it had to be tough to leave her best friend behind and worry about her parents and her brother. Definitely a coming-of-age story that was very well-written and a good read for teens and adults.
    The impact of parents' divorce on children is profound,
    often leading to long-term challenges. Lea managed to navigate her parents' choices despite the difficulties, showcasing resilience. This exceptional tale intertwines a coming-of-age narrative with historical elements. Congratulations on being selected as #BOTD!

I completely agree with your assessment! The review beautifully captures the essence of the book, highlighting its relatable characters and the seamless blend of mystery and coming-of-age elements. I'm intrigued to witness Lea's journey firsthand.
    The review's focus on Lea's growth and adaptation is compelling. It's refreshing to see a story where the protagonist's evolution takes center stage, offering young readers a relatable narrative about navigating change. I'm eager to delve into the emotional depth portrayed in the book.
    mrlefty0706
    In It Together VIP
    Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
    Favorite Book: What If They Knew
    Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
    Bookshelf Size: 643
    Reading Device: B00I15SB16
    fav_author_id: 77547
    2024 Reading Goal: 150
    2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @Sapna Mallah, I just read your comments on the official review of "SandPeople" and I enjoyed your synopsis of this well-written book. A coming-of-age story about Lea, a 12-year-old middle school girl that is sent to her aunt's house in Texas for the summer while her parents take a marital separation. Lea has fantastic experiences involving ghosts, making new friends while spending the summer with an aunt she does not know. I would recommend this book to teens, young adults and parents. Marital separation is traumatic for children and unfortunately ends in divorce for many couples. @Mrlefty0706
    Jabulile Mahlangu 1
    Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
    Currently Reading: Obsidian Tomorrow
    Bookshelf Size: 32
    2024 Reading Goal: 100
    2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Jabulile Mahlangu 1 »

Growing up had never been harder for the young young Lea finding out her parents are getting a divorce.Having to admit puberty and such I totally understand her devastation. As a teenager you try are still trying to figure out who you are, why your here and when is then next period cycle. A very well detailed book which is neatly arranged but I can't help but feel displaced and detached throughout. A sombre, sad and not so colourful look is described and I did not like it.

The surprise Lea encounters when she realises that her friend knew before she did about her parents getting a divorce devastated her completely.She cried out explaining it is unfair she should have known first. Im this case I fully agree.

Divorce doesnt only divide a marriage it divides the entire home, siblings the bedding even walls feel different. The academic brother to my surprise has little to say. You would swear he was aware this was coming. Again men cant really handle emotions now can they.

Shaving off her hair was a great sign of rebellion but the she explains that her" old life is gone now". I wish life was that easy. The blue eyes dad had this to say " I liked it,it looks cool and easy to take care of.Besudes, thats how Lea wants to wear it, shes done it, no use fussing now". There really was no use. The divorce had done most of the punishing.

For a teenager's book find the tone of the book really sombre. I know we prepare children for things they are not ready for but I was lost throughout. It was hard to finish. Good context . Lack of energy and enthusiast and thats why I am giving it a 1 out 5. The tone is the book itself. It leaves us ready to read more but thats not how I felt after this one.
    superGod
    Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by superGod »

One of the best book l had seen over the years, Cheryl Kerr melted my inner sense of appetite to read more as Lea grew to understand who and are her family and yet never allowed the bad feeling of the issues of her parents affect her mental balancing. I recommend this book to be in every home to educate a growing child more.
    Muhammad Bawa
    Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
    Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Muhammad Bawa »

am interested in reading about how Lea will transform over the summer and bond with her aunt. This sounds like a fabulous read for a YA audience. Thanks for the lovely review.
    ABDELHAK BELADEM
    Currently Reading: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner
    Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ABDELHAK BELADEM »

This story is beautiful and its meaning is meaningful and beautiful. Thank you
    Akhtar Hussain 6
    Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akhtar Hussain 6 »

"Sand People" for its authenticity, relatable characters, and engrossing plot. One review lauds it as "a great YA book that is written realistically and with sensitivity," while another commends Kerr's ability to "captivate and enthrall with each and every turn of the page."

Return to “Children's Books”