Official Review: Dirty Sally by Josephine Stabile

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Dirty Sally by Josephine Stabile

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dirty Sally" by Josephine Stabile.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Josephine Stabile introduces young readers to the importance of personal hygiene in her picture book, Dirty Sally. Sally doesn't understand why her friends don't want to play with her. She talks to her mother about her problem and receives some helpful advice.

The professionally edited children's book is 28 pages. It addresses themes of self-esteem, friendship, rejection, acceptance, encouragement, confidence, self-care, and pride while teaching young readers about personal hygiene.

I especially liked the colorful illustrations and Stabile's fun feature that encouraged children to find the hidden ladybug on each page. I also appreciated that the book conveyed Sally's ease as she discussed her problem with her mother. Additionally, Stabile consistently portrayed the characters' different emotions through their facial expressions, including confusion, understanding, confidence, and pride.

On the other hand, none of Sally's "friends" exemplified friendship by explaining why they didn't want to play with her. Although Sally stated, "Messy or neat, I'm still me," her friendships seemed to be dependent on her physical appearance, and I disliked the mixed message this conveyed to children. Stabile referred to Sally's changes in hygiene practices, such as washing her face, combing her hair, and wearing clean clothes. However, the illustrations did not display these actions and barely reflected noticeable changes. The only difference I noted in Sally's appearance was the absence of smudged dirt on her face, so it seemed highly unlikely "no one recognized her at school" or that she would be asked if she was a new student. Likewise, she was pictured in the same clothes throughout the book. By not including illustrations of Sally actually practicing good hygiene and wearing a fresh change of clothes, Stabile missed the opportunity to show positive examples instead of merely telling young readers about them.

Overall, I rate Dirty Sally 3 out of 4 stars for its gentle approach to teaching young readers about personal hygiene. I recommend the book to children through the age of 10 and teachers, parents, and grandparents.

Dirty Sally
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Hygiene is vital from a very young age. I also like that the book includes other themes as well. Good job on the review 👍
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

looks like a very educative book. i convince children readers to consider reading this book as it shows importance of cleanliness.
amaizing work on review
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

RHD wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 02:53 Hygiene is vital from a very young age. I also like that the book includes other themes as well. Good job on the review 👍
Thanks for your comment.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The topic is definitely an important one. But maybe I would have chosen a different book title, though.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I'm sure this book has merit, however, I wonder about the title? It sounds a bit accusatory and labeling, I'm not sure I would choose this to read to a child who was having trouble with hygiene. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”