Official Review: Little Tree's Big Dream by MJ Albert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Little Tree's Big Dream by MJ Albert

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Tree's Big Dream" by MJ Albert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Little Tree's Big Dream: A Christmas Story by M.J. Albert is a charming children's book about perseverance and pursuing goals. Little Tree lives with the other trees in the forest, but he wishes he could fly to different places like his friend, Finch. After Little Tree learns about humans and Christmas trees from Finch, he longs for more. He imagines seeing new things and becoming a Christmas tree decorated with colorful lights. Although Finch warns him that Christmas trees don't return to the forest after they go away, Little Tree doesn't give up on his dream. He focuses on growing taller with the hope that someday, humans will select him as a beautiful Christmas tree. Will Little Tree's dream come true?

The 28-page children's book is a fun read for the holidays. When Finch and the other trees warn Little Tree that he will "never come back" after being a Christmas tree, young readers learn to hold fast to their dreams despite what others think or say. As the story unfolds, Little Tree's courage in pursuing his goal is unexpectedly rewarded, further reinforcing the themes of perseverance and following your dreams.

I especially liked the enchanting illustrations by Sakshi Mangal. From the beautiful color palette to the whimsical faces of the trees and animals, she created pages of magical scenes that will surely delight young readers.

However, since the beautiful illustrations greatly enhanced the story, I was disappointed that the illustrator was not given credit on the cover, the synopsis, or anywhere else in the book. Although I reviewed the PDF format, I noted that the illustrator's name was also absent from the Amazon sample; only the listing cited it. Typically, the illustrator's name appears on the book cover and copyright page, so it seemed incongruous that Albert acknowledged that the story was based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Fir Tree yet neglected to give credit to the illustrator. The idiom "Give credit where credit is due" came to mind. Additionally, Albert incorrectly capitalized "Christmas Tree" throughout the book. As it wasn't a proper noun, "Christmas tree" is correct, and although the PDF I read was marked "Uncorrected Proof," each error had to be counted.

Due to the above reasons, I rate Little Tree's Brig Dream 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the previously mentioned issues, it is a sweet story featuring lovely illustrations. As it contains more text than most picture books, I recommend it as a read-aloud story to children through the age of 9.

Little Tree's Big Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

What a cute, heartwarming story! Too bad the illustrator wasn't credited though. Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Awesomeliker wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 04:05 What a cute, heartwarming story! Too bad the illustrator wasn't credited though. Thanks for the amazing review!
Thank you. :tiphat:
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Awesomeliker wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 04:05 What a cute, heartwarming story! Too bad the illustrator wasn't credited though. Thanks for the amazing review!
Yeah, too bad. I agree the review is well-done 👌
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

It's interesting how this author turns the reality of trees being cut down into something to look forward to. I hope Little Tree gets to see the world like he wants to.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Sounds like a great children's book. As an artist myself, I agree, credit should have been given to the illustrator. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Children's Books”